Column: Nature can be a fickle frond

N ature is out to get me. Try as I might to hug the trees and commune with the woodland creatures, it really does want me dead.

Take the Galapagos Islands. The enchanted islands, they’re called. At least, now they are. When I studied abroad there this summer, my professors told me the first settlers had died of thirst and starvation.

It wasn’t paradise back then. It was arid and inhospitable. Most of the islands are devoid of fresh water. Many of the plants are adapted to deal with the intense salt levels of the islands and store excess water in their leaves. Animals get their water from the food they eat, and the plants, being eaten, do their evolutionary best to avoid it. One tree accomplishes this with poison.

It was late July, and study abroad classes in the Galapagos had just ended. I was camping on a beach. My sleeping bag lay on soft white sand under a canopied umbrella of a shrub. It was rainproof, shady, aesthetically pleasing. Turquoise waves murmured over the shore, the full expanse of the Milky Way glittered overhead. Perfect spot, I thought.

Midway through the evening, nature called. I relieved myself beside the aforementioned shrub. Bladder emptied, I made use of a nearby leaf. Deftly executed, I thought as I returned to my fellow students. No poison ivy in the Galapagos; nothing to worry about, I thought.

Thirty minutes later, the nether regions were practically on fire, and I thought I was going to die.

I limped teary-eyed to our park guide and asked about poisonous plants. He grinned and snatched a leaf off the bush.

“This,” he said, and shoved the whole leaf in his mouth — I lunged for him but he shook his finger — “is mangle salado — salty! Not poisonous.”

“Oh. Well, maybe I’m fine,” I thought.

“But this!” he grabbed a similar leaf from another bush, “Manzanillo — poison apple!” He tore the leaf and a toxic-looking white foam oozed out.

Well, shoot.

Rub an eye with that white foam, and that eye could go blind. Let a raindrop slip off the leaf before hitting skin, and that skin will burn.

And where was that foam? All up in my downstairs.

The campsite swarmed around me with enthusiastic concern and conflicting advice. I enlisted the help of a Spanish-speaking park ranger, a fairly intoxicated local and two self-assured chemistry majors.

Either one or a combination of the remedies (sand, salt water, fresh water, orange juice and beer) seemed to do the trick. One of my companions was not so lucky. He hung his swimsuit to dry on the very same manzanillo and donned it the next day, to his chagrin.

The next day we waddled through the airport, exchanging words of sympathy for our inflamed private areas. In the end it was generally hilarious.

But a word to the wise: The wild is still pretty wild, and as much as I admire the sustainability behind the choice of a leaf over toilet paper, make sure you know your leaf, dear reader.

Learn from my mistake.