Artist Todd Frahm to bring limestone animals to library

Courtesy of Todd Frahm

Courtesy of Todd Frahm

The Chapel Hill Town Council authorized a contract with Frahm on the recommendation of the town’s Public Arts Commission at its meeting Monday, kickstarting Frahm’s project.

“The animals are kind of whimsical, and they have relationships to Aesop’s Fables and other children’s fables,” said Jeffrey York, public arts administrator for Chapel Hill. “But they’ll also serve as seating and help define that area so that programs can start being held outside in good weather and people can start hanging out outside.”

Daniel Cefalo, vice chair of the town’s Public Art Commission, said the unveiling date has not been set for the pieces, but the commission is hoping for the late spring or early summer months.

Frahm’s sculptures will be carved out of 40-by-40 inch limestone cubes. In his proposal to the library’s art selection committee, Frahm said the final pieces would allow children to safely perch, play, nestle and read on the sculptures, while serving as seating for adults. The sculptures will weigh about 1,100 pounds total and will require a crane to put them in place.

“The space where the library will be putting these has no seating of any kind,” Frahm said.

“I imagine these things will be used as seating by adults, and as visual representation of storybook characters by children, so they’ll have something to climb on, something to reference for animals from a particular story.”

Frahm was one of two artists selected out of a pool of about 235 interested artists for the library project, York said. The selection process started in November 2013 and each artist was officially selected in February.

“He’s extremely talented. He has been around and his art was in public venues,” Cefalo said. “There was really a nice comfort level in knowing he had had his work in public places.”

Frahm’s project falls under the town’s Percent for Art Ordinance, which was established in March 2002. It allocates 1 percent of selected capital projects for the creation, installation and maintenance of permanent works of public art.

The second artist’s library project, currently budgeted for about $130,000, took up most of the Percent for Art funds for the 2013 to 2014 fiscal year, York said. Therefore, the committee had to get creative when it came to funding Frahm’s $40,000

project. Frahm’s sculptures will pull $9,500 from the current Percent for Art budget, $5,000 from the Percent for Art fund and $25,500 from the Unrestricted Library Gift funds.

York said the Percent for Art fund is a $14,000 pool for any future public art projects, where small surpluses from past years’ budgets are reserved — such as leftovers of $200 or $300, which aren’t enough to fund an entire project.

Frahm will receive $26,900 for his labor, according to the budget presented to the council. The remaining money will go toward materials and equipment.

When the project is installed, Frahm said he hopes people enjoy the artwork.

“I want kids to be able to interact with them,” he said. “I want people to be able to touch them, sit on them, enjoy them.”