Cornhole game raises more than $500 for American Cancer Society

The School of Pharmacy held their first Cornhole Tournament at the Kappa Psi house on Friday to start off Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Donning bright pink outfits, 20 teams participated in the cornhole tournament, which was hosted by the Carolina Association of Pharmacy Students. Tossing for Tatas was the group’s first cornhole tournament fundraiser.

Twelve cornhole boards lined the lawn of the Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity house Friday afternoon for Tossing for Tatas.

The event raised more than $500 for the American Cancer Society, which provides research grants and health support for cancer patients, said Caki Buckthal, a Carolina Association of Pharmacy Students patient care project leader for women’s health.

Participants in the cornhole tournament donated by paying registration fees, buying drinks and pizza and paying for extra votes for the most creative team name competition— which was won by the “Hakuna Ma Tatas.”

First-year pharmacy student Catie Travis, who participated in the fundraiser, said she chose to participate in the event because the cause was important to her.

“Cancer is a very unfair disease which does not discriminate,” she said as she was practicing her bean bag toss for the tournament. “You can be a good person but still die from cancer.”

Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer-related death in women after lung cancer, according to American Cancer Society.

The society estimated that about 40,000 women will die from breast cancer in the United States this year.

“My youth pastor from home passed away last month from breast cancer complications,” Travis said.

“Any sort of raising money for cancer society is really a big deal for me.”

Stephanie Jean, one of the organizers and the hematology and oncology representative for the Carolina Association of Pharmacy Students, said the tournament was held to spread awareness of breast cancer and to kick off Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which begins Oct. 1.

Jean said it was the group’s first time holding a cornhole tournament, and the association would like to make it an annual event.

For Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Carolina Association of Pharmacy Students will take part in the charity walk event Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Oct. 4 in Raleigh. During the next few weeks, pharmacists and breast cancer survivors will come to the University to share their experiences and opinions, Buckthal said.

The event was fun and competitive, but the reason for being there was not forgotten.

“It’s going to raise a great amount of money for cancer research, which is all this is about,” said Michael Wells, professional chairman of Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity.