Quinshad Davis, receivers share special bond

Two years ago, with 61 receptions for 776 receiving yards, Davis set single-season freshman records, surpassing Nicks’ previous records of 39 catches and 660 yards.

Now a junior, Davis has already permanently inked his name into the record books.

But this time it’s different.

This time it’s for career touchdowns — perhaps the most prestigious record of them all for a wide receiver.

And this time, Davis understands the hype. With 16 career touchdown receptions, Davis has Nicks, who left UNC in 2008 with a program-high 21, in his sight once again.

“I’ve got a couple records as a freshman, but touchdown record? That would be amazing,” Davis said. “I would love it.”

Davis’ first touchdown of the 2014 campaign came Saturday against San Diego State, an 11-yard catch from the hands of quarterback Marquise Williams, whom Davis trusts both on and off the field.

“(Marquise) is from close to where I grew up in Gaffney, S.C.,” Davis said with a grin. “So I know him very well. He comes down to the crib sometimes, so we’re real cool.”

But it’s not just Williams that Davis finds himself connecting with.

The chemistry within the wide receiver’s core is an obvious perk the entire group enjoys, and that much was evident in a silly environment Tuesday after practice.

“Funny, talented, weird group,” Davis said to describe his teammates. “Funny. Talented. Weird.”

At the helm of the humor is sophomore Mack Hollins, a walk-on-turned-scholarship athlete, who won’t let anyone other than his parents cook for him and admits to a love of folding laundry.

But don’t tell him he’s the strangest of the group. He won’t believe you.

“That’s crazy. I better be the funniest, (not) the weirdest,” he yelled to Davis. “What about Jordan (Fieulleteau)? That’s weird.”

They jaw back and forth, Davis the instigator, before piling into a golf cart to leave Navy Field for the day.

There’s a time and a place for the humor, and each of them knows this.

At the end of the day, Hollins is reminded he once was a walk-on and that if he loosens up the chip on his shoulder, his performance could be on the line.

Davis wants to follow in Nicks’ footsteps once again — not only in touchdowns, but to the NFL, as well.

“This summer I worked on getting out of my breaks, trying to separate at the top of my breaks ... that’s what a lot of NFL scouts look at,” he said. “I’m a big guy, and I just use it to my advantage. If the ball’s in the air, it’s mine.”