All three freshmen, new additions to the North Carolina baseball team, had the same thing on their minds after this weekend’s three-game start to the Tar Heels’ intrasquad Fall World Series.

Asked of their expectations for the spring after the Blue side swept the three games against Navy, 7-3, 9-2 and 7-1, all three said one word. The one word that perks up the ears of every college baseball player, coach and fan.

“Omaha.”

The tone wasn’t sarcastic. Each one of them said it with a confidence that showed they truly believed it — that this year’s squad can return to a winning form that at times escaped them last season.

“The experience this fall has been awesome,” said Hudak, a second baseman from Rock Hill, S.C.

“The chemistry between all the guys is already good. I think we have a chance to do something special this year.”

Hudak was the lone bright spot for Navy on Friday night. After striking out in his first at-bat, the freshman hit an RBI triple off the top of the right field wall to score Logan Warmoth. Hudak finished the series 2-for-11 with one RBI and one run scored.

Saturday’s action ended much like Friday’s, as the Blue squad dismantled Navy en route to a 9-2 win. And like Friday, freshman players told the story of the game — namely three freshman pitchers.

For Blue, the righty Daniels tossed the winning game, only giving up two runs on five hits in six innings.

On the other side, it was a tale of two vastly different performances.

Lefty Hunter Williams started for Navy, but was quickly relieved after two errors led to six unearned runs.

“I thought Brett threw exceptionally well, but with Hunter, the wheels just came off,” said Coach Mike Fox.

“If I had to guess, it’s probably something he has never experienced before. He just started rushing, and you’ve got to be able to slow yourself down when things get faster and faster.”

Williams was relieved by fellow freshman Bellenkes, who shined in his 3.1 innings of work. Bellenkes gave up one run but didn’t allow a hit, the lone run coming off of a Skye Bolt sacrifice fly in the fifth.

Sunday offered more of the same, with a duel between freshmen pitchers Jason Morgan and Hansen Butler taking center stage. Morgan came out on top, allowing a mere run in six innings.

Butler had his fair share of success as well in a losing effort, recording six strikeouts in four innings.

The Tar Heels have gained a lot of new pieces this year, but senior Benton Moss said he isn’t worried about a lack of experience heading forward.

“The new players have fit in really well, and we’ve just tried to welcome them and have tried to make them feel at home,” he said.

“Because in June, you want the guy beside you to be pulling for you as hard as he can, even if he’s not in the starting lineup.”