Column: How to win on margins

Ishmael Bishop.

Ishmael Bishop.

Current poll numbers show that black, Latino and female voters will ultimately decide the upcoming U.S. Senate race between incumbent Democratic Sen. Kay Hagan, Republican state House Speaker Thom Tillis and Libertarian candidate Sean Haugh.

Assuming the candidates are intelligent and have a social conscience, this means that during the next few days, their respective camps should be heavily pursuing strategies for appealing to these marginalized groups. 

It’s fitting that the state’s most historically marginalized communities now understand that they hold the keys to the state’s political future.

Already, mud has been slung in two particular directions. Hagan has employed a standard broadcasting approach, campaigning to predominantly black listeners through radio ads, which has led to criticism of her “last minute radio ads,” according to McClatchy.

Republicans see the tactic of appealing to underrepresented groups of people as shallow.

Instead, Republicans say they want to open their conversation to minority groups and receive feedback pertaining to job growth, the economy and education.

By doing this, Republicans hope to earn the confidence of these groups, whom they imagine

will feel self-empowered to vote a Republican into office on their own accord.

In states like North Carolina, members of growing black and Latino/a populations are more likely to vote in favor of a candidate with a history of supporting social and financial progressiveness that bridges social and income disparities.

Currently, Democrats are in the process of meeting with members of black and Latino/acommunities after church services to provide general election-day information and answer their questions. The dialogue happening in these spaces is crucial to the success of the Democrats.

It can be assumed that whoever controls this vote will also control the outcome of the Senate election. 

If Tillis were to win office, the two-house Republican majority would have the ability to establish a collective and symbolic effort toward stripping President Barack Obama of his executive powers.

Women will also turn out in massive numbers this election as the debate surrounding abortion rights and access to affordable health care becomes more heated.

A recent poll conducted by Public Policy Polling showed Hagan leading Tillis with women 49 percent to 37 percent, and with African- American-identified voters 85 percent to 4 percent. 

Tillis leads with white voters, men and senior citizens.

If for some reason, Tillis were to skirt by and win against Hagan, marginalized folks, including youth, LGBT persons and poor and working-class mothers will not see their interests represented in the Senate.

These overwhelming divides show a clear and very steady front-runner among marginalized groups. 

How voters and candidates respond to this data will determine the future of the state of for years to come.