Clef Hangers bring festival vibes to annual Clefchella tonight

The two-night event will feature groups from across the nation and songs like “No Diggity,” “Problem,” “If I Ain’t Got You” and more.

Senior Sara Larcher, president of the UNC Loreleis, said there are definitely surprises in store for this event.

“I think that what keeps Clefchella different from (the Clefs’) fall and spring concert is that the audience doesn’t know what to expect,” Larcher said.

In addition to UNC’s Clef Hangers and the Loreleis, Clefchella will feature performances by the University of Virginia’s Virginia Sil’hooettes, Appalachian State University’s Enharmonix and the University of South Carolina’s Cocktails — groups ready to showcase their aca-skills.

Enharmonix’s Treasurer Olivia Easly said more work goes into organizing performances than some realize.

“It’s definitely a lot more work than the way that ‘Pitch Perfect’ makes it seem,” she said. “That you can just throw a song out there and that an arrangement comes — but we practice three times a week for two hours each, so six hours a week.”

Easly expressed how excited her group was to take part in the concert and to be formally invited by the Clef Hangers.

“We are so excited because (the Clefs) actually reached out to us, which is such an honor because the Clefs are so well known, not just in North Carolina, but throughout the a cappella community,” Easly said. “So when they asked us, we jumped on it.”

UNC has consistently been listed as one of the top 10 colleges for a cappella, said Clefchella organizer and freshman Chris Burrus.

“It’s definitely a very prevalent thing here on campus, and it’s really cool that people appreciate all the work that you’re putting into it,” he said. “It’s just a really cool culture that people are interested in.”

Burrus said a cappella culture on campus is really fun, and members of various groups enjoy coming together to share what they love.

“We’re really close — I have a lot of really close friends in the Loreleis. I know the kids in (Tar Heel Voices) and the Achordants,” Burrus said. “(We’re having Clefchella) to prove that there are people who are doing amazing things around this country and around this school as well.”

Larcher said she could not be more excited for Clefchella.

“It’s really different, and I think that’s why people keep coming back, especially for both shows, because it’s never exactly the same.”

But as the organizer, Burrus might be more excited than anyone.

“I’m just really, really excited to see it — it’s kind of been my baby over this past semester.”