Clubs use underwater photos for public service project

That’s what junior Caroline Orr and sophomore Norman Archer said inspired them to create a UNC branch of the global public art project Inside Out, created by 2011 TED prize-winning artist JR.

Since then, they’ve been using the UNC water theme to plan a public art show centered around water, showcasing its uses and impacts ranging from environmental to athletic to health and beyond.

On Sunday, they kicked off the promotion of the event by releasing portraits of the Inside Out members who will be contributing to the project. All photos are shot underwater, a motif they will use to stand out — no other project in Inside Out history has ever been shot entirely underwater.

Until the event on March 22, Inside Out UNC has been planning and will continue to plan the unveiling of its organization. Launching its website and social media platforms less than a month ago, the momentum is already building with a little less than 200 combined Facebook and Twitter followers.

The group announced Jan. 19 that it will be partnering with UNC Lens for the production and unveiling of this photo exhibit, set to premiere on the United Nations’ World Water Day.

The portrait photographs, featuring UNC students, community members and faculty and will be shot by UNC Lens members throughout February and will be public. The images, some as large as 3-by-5 feet, will be plastered on walkways and walls throughout campus. Orr’s goal is to publish 300 to 500 portraits.

“(Lens is) very interested in social causes and using their skills and their talent as photographers for the good of our community, and we love that mission — that’s what we’re trying to do with the overall concept of the project. That’s what our theme is all about,” Orr said. “That was where the chemistry happened.”

Archer said he is excited about the level of excellence Lens brings to the project.

“We had a vision of how this project would work, but it comes down to the photos themselves and talking to a group, being able to say, ‘this is our vision,’ and being able to turn it into our images,” he said. “It’s been great.”

Jaehee Yoo, founder and executive director of Lens, echoed their excitement for the project.

“We’re really excited because we love art, and Inside Out brings something very unique that you don’t really see on your everyday campus,” she said. “We’re really excited about getting involved because not only do we get our work published, but we’re raising awareness for water.”

Orr, above all else, hopes the passion for this project will make the launch — and the message — stick.

“No one’s ever done this before. I’ve never done this before. It’s not like we’re in a position where we have a template to run things,” she said.

“Everything is very organic, and it’s a grassroots effort, which I think makes it very invigorating.”