Column: Banning Yik Yak isn't a solution

Matt Leming is a senior computer science major from New Orleans.

“‘Oh Harry, don’t you see?’ Hermione breathed. ‘If she could have done one thing to make absolutely sure that every single person in this school will read your interview, it was banning it!’”

That’s the reason I downloaded Yik Yak, an anonymous, location-based social media app targeted toward college students. I’d heard about it, thinking, until last month, that the app was some initiative related to Student Affairs. But when I heard that people wanted to ban it, I crawled out from the rock I live under to check it out.

Yik Yak has had its share of controversy. According to The New York Times, Yik Yak’s owners have banned it in about 90 percent of U.S. middle and high schools in response to administrators’ complaints that students were using it to bully one another. At UNC, it was famously used for a bomb threat. Like any worthy new technology, it’s been followed by a string of newspaper articles that echo the tone of a nun condemning short skirts.

Yik Yak, however, should not be banned, and while I don’t think the administration at UNC is seriously considering it, it is generally an oft-echoed sentiment.

The internet is like everyone having a sharpie, and Yik Yak (among other anonymous message boards) is like a bathroom stall in Phillips Hall; when everyone has a Sharpie, many will decorate bathroom walls with nonsense. When internet anonymity goes awry, a lot of pundits pop up and argue that the best solution is to remove bathroom walls entirely. Every time Anonymous harasses someone, the first thing some blogger shouts is to shut down 4chan.

That never works — even if the tool goes away, the idea is still present (see: Napster). There are a number of problems in society — school bullying, binge drinking, internet anonymity — that cannot be solved with a bludgeon. But, whenever problems arise, out the bludgeon comes. For years, the music industry tried to kill illegal downloading, much like Elmer Fudd chasing Bugs Bunny. But it only made progress with nuanced, compromising solutions, like Spotify.

Yik Yak can spread sexism, racism, whatever — I’m not arguing that it can’t — but anonymity on the internet can be an outlet for what people are really thinking.

Yik Yak’s problems are a symptom of deeper issues that won’t go away very easily. The thoughts that are posted are thoughts that users would have had even without Yik Yak.

Internet anonymity is an idea that will not go away, and Yik Yak does try to compromise on those grounds. On Yik Yak, for example, authorities can catch people who write bomb threats.

That shouldn’t be taken for granted. You can’t guarantee compromise with a forum on a .onion site or an anonymous internet relay chat that doesn’t log anything. If those end up taking the place of a banned Yik Yak, then, well, good luck.

So, when dealing with a hydra’s head like internet anonymity, think twice before trying to cut it off. The idea is simply not going away.