UNC admitted some philosophy classes were irregular

Jan Boxill is featured with Chancellor Folt and President Obama on a bulletin board in Caldwell Hall celebrating philosophy professors’ work.

Four months since the release of the Wainstein report, the public finally learned what many already assumed — former faculty chairwoman Jan Boxill and the University have severed ties. Boxill resigned from UNC effective Feb. 28.

She did not respond to request for comment Thursday.

Boxill, who also served as the director of the Parr Center for Ethics until October, was given a notice of the University’s intent to fire her from Provost Jim Dean on Oct. 22 — the day of the Wainstein report’s release.

“I write this letter with genuine and deep regret. You have been a well-regarded teacher, mentor, colleague and leader in the University community for many years,” Dean said. “However, your record of outstanding service does not outweigh your profoundly flawed and unethical acts recounted in the Wainstein report.”

On the day the report was released, Chancellor Carol Folt said at least nine employees would face disciplinary action for their role in the Wainstein report.

UNC-system President Tom Ross, who was forced to resign in January, also promised one employee at another UNC campus would face disciplinary action.

Boxill’s is the fourth employee case to close. Beyond Boxill, former athletic counselor Jaimie Lee’s, former athletic counselor Beth Bridger’s and former African, African American and Diaspora Studies professor Tim McMillan’s cases have been resolved in the four months since the report’s release.

Dean’s notice also acknowledged that irregular independent studies existed outside of the former Department of African and African-American Studies, breaking away from the Wainstein report’s narrative that the scandal was contained within the former Department of African and Afro-American Studies.

“In addition to foregoing activities connected to the AFAM paper classes, it appears that you also allowed students to be enrolled in independent study courses in the Department of Philosophy that involved minimal academic expectations and that were offered at times to accommodate student-athletes,” Dean said, acknowledging Boxill’s irregular course offerings.

A Daily Tar Heel investigation showed that Boxill offered 160 independent studies between 2004 and 2014. Philosophy chairman Marc Lange said in an interview with The Daily Tar Heel in November he can count on one hand the number of independent studies he’s offered since coming to UNC in 2003.

Dean’s notice also said Boxill, in her former role as the academic adviser for the women’s basketball team, requested grades for players in African and Afro-American studies classes, pushed players to no-show classes and wrote parts of papers for players.

While Julius Nyang’oro and Deborah Crowder, the chairman and an administrative assistant in the African and Afro-American studies department, were determined the ones largely responsible for UNC’s academic-athletic scandal by investigator Kenneth Wainstein and his team, Boxill’s involvement was the most shocking aspect of the saga for the University community.

In a statement to ABC 11, Boxill said the aftermath of the scandal has ruined her life.

“Since the Wainstein report, this has left my life in turmoil,” Boxill said. “I’ve given 30 years of honor and commitment. This has affected me and my family emotionally and financially. This has turned my world upside down.”