UNC's Urban Gaming Club welcomes spring with week of games

The week kicks off with capture the flag at the Old Well today and culminates with Humans vs. Zombies on Friday at the Bell Tower.

Senior John Rusnak, club president, said the week appropriately concludes with Humans vs. Zombies — a game he’s played since his freshman year. It was from these large games that the club evolved.

“Humans vs. Zombies has been played on campus for a long time, but it wasn’t until this year that we began to expand from strictly Humans vs. Zombies into other games,” Rusnak said.

“At that point, we transitioned into the Urban Gaming Club, so this is sort of the start of a new era.”

The club hopes to gain recognition from the Union as an official club on campus, but for now, the group is focused on orchestrating a great event.

Junior Ali Schneider, advertising chairwoman of the club, said the Week of Games is an excellent opportunity for students to relax.

“We’re hoping to give people a week long break from the monotony and course load of the semester,” Schneider said. “But we also want to get more people involved so we can broaden our appeal and decide exactly what we can provide to the community.”

The fun and camaraderie of these games is the true purpose, Rusnak said.

“What I found over my four years of urban gaming is that it’s not about Nerf, or zombies or tag. The heart of all of this is friendship,” he said.

Sophomore Siena Fallon said there’s no better time for the Week of Games.

“Midterms just ended, the weather is beautiful and these games are so much fun,” she said.

Rusnak hopes that a successful Week of Games is just the beginning for his up-and-coming club.

“I would love to see Urban Gaming become an institution at UNC,” Rusnak said.

“You have to go to the Dance Marathon, rush Franklin after a huge win, drink from the Old Well — I want people to desperately want to play a game that those nuts at the Urban Gaming Club put on.”