Letter: ​Summers: Town Halls open to all on campus

Over the past year, Student Government has been hesitant to responsively, inclusively and actively represent the voices of students on this campus. The status quo has been to operate in a bubble, making decisions internally, rather than proactively soliciting feedback from students. My team plans to change this status quo.

I seek, through a series of programs, to institutionalize a culture of conversation and of openness. When events happen, both on and off campus, I want to hear what students think—to see how they react. And my policies will reflect these reactions. Each and every student on campus deserves a space to voice their comments, express concerns, levy criticism and provide direction to the new Summers Administration.

To spark this conversation and create a space for productive discourse, the rest of the Executive Branch and I are hosting the “Houston, we have a problem...” Town Hall. Let this letter serve as a formal invitation to every student on this campus to join us Thursday at 6 p.m. in the Anne Queen Lounge of the Campus Y.

This is an event to both encourage and challenge Executive Branch Officers to adopt ideas, policies and recommendations that can improve our campus. We see that students have concerns, and that their problems are as diverse as our community itself. Please bring those concerns into this space. There will be an opportunity to submit thoughts in writing if you do not feel comfortable sharing them aloud. Come to challenge my team and me to represent you the way you want to be represented. Together we can drive the change we all want to see at Carolina.

Houston Summers

Student Body President