Phoenix flame out in wild first inning

The North Carolina baseball team beat Elon 10-5 Tuesday

After watching the opposing pitchers self-destruct in the first inning — allowing four runs without a single base hit — North Carolina pitcher Hunter Williams could offer only one explanation.

“Everybody has their day,” he said. “Some days you’re the bug, some days you’re the windshield.”

And on Tuesday, Elon channeled its inner insect.

The Phoenix (12-15) committed three errors and threw two wild pitches in the first inning alone, giving No. 26 UNC a four-run lead it wouldn’t relinquish in a wild 10-5 victory — unlike any Coach Mike Fox has ever been a part of.

“You don't see that very often,” he said of the first inning mayhem. “(The first baseman) throws it wide at second and the shortstop throws it away at first, and it’s like two errors on one play.

“It was a very strange start to the game, for sure.”

The madness continued into the sixth inning, when Elon threw two more wild pitches and gave up four walks en route to four more Tar Heel runs.

“We made them try to come at us,” said sophomore Joe Dudek, who hit UNC’s only home run of the game. “That really puts the pressure on the defense and the pitcher, and it worked out in our favor.”

The pressure proved to be too much for the Phoenix, who gave up 12 walks — including two with the bases loaded.

“Their pitcher just couldn’t find the strike zone,” Fox said. “They were just throwing balls in the dirt, the catcher just wasn’t blocking them. They gave us a couple of gifts.”

The errant pitching from Elon was further exemplified by Williams' strong outing.

Despite struggling in the first inning, the freshman lefty proceeded to shut down the next 12 Elon batters, finishing with just two hits and two runs allowed in six innings of work.

“It definitely helps when you’ve got a cushion like that,” Williams said. “You got out there and you pound the zone with fastballs and make them put the ball in play.

“You’re just confident that they’re going make the plays behind you.”

It was Elon’s inability to execute — both on the mound and in the field — that quickly doomed its chances of success.

But for the Tar Heels, it wasn’t quick enough.

“It was a long, methodical, somewhat boring game,” Fox said. “But obviously it wasn’t as boring for us as it was for them.”

The first inning, which took 35 minutes in itself, was unlike any that the coaches or players had ever experienced.

But in Fox’s mind, the team could have done without it.

“Thank goodness we don’t have a three-hour drive home,” he said. “That’s what we were thinking on the bus.

“Thank goodness we only went 30 miles for that game.”