Carolina Performing Arts announces 11th season performers

“For the beginning of our second decade, we have groupings of ensembles, artists in residence and several other collaborations that really focus on forming relationships with the community and the university students,” Amy Russell, CPA’s director of programming said.

The 2015-16 season focuses on connecting the community to the performers — a mission they are accomplishing through the artists and the setting.

“We are trying something new this year in terms of student seating,” Mark Nelson, director of marketing and communications said. “We always reserve 300 of the 1300 seats for students, but this year we are committing 100 seats in the first four rows of Memorial Hall to students.”

From the front, students will be able to connect with violinist Gil Shaham who will appear with the UNC Symphony Orchestra, The Knights and visual artist David Michalek.

Max Lerfer, Shaham’s publicist, has worked with the violinist for six years and said Shaham never stops reinventing himself.

“He’s one of the more approachable musicians at his level,” Lerfer said. “And he’s thrilled to be teaching a master class at Carolina.”

Dancers such as Memphis’ Lil Buck and singer-songwriters like Abigail Washburn will serve as collaborators-in-residence and perform with members of Yo-Yo Ma’s Silk Road Ensemble.

“We are trying to make the shows accessible to students, like with Lil Buck, who will be someone they can relate to and might find interesting. We want CPA to be part of the bucket list of things they want to do,” Nelson said.

Aaron Shackelford, a professor in the Department of American Studies, is also the inaugural postdoctoral fellow for Arts@TheCore — a program that aims to connect UNC faculty with CPA performances.

“I act as the liaison between the artists and faculty to see what they would like to explore,” Shackelford said. “And this season has many opportunities for exploration.”

CPA expands its season with a production of “Antigone,” featuring Oscar-winning actress Juliette Binoche — a show Shackelford said he is looking forward to.

“It not only has amazing actors and is one of the oldest pieces of literature, but it connects to a huge range of interests from social work to the medical school,” Shackelford said.

Four ensembles will also make their North Carolina debuts — The Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Paris-based Ensemble intercontemporain, the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and early music group Les Arts Florissants.

“This season pursues the idea of collaboration and really strives to identify artists who are charging ahead with new ideas,” Shackelford said.