Four new Morehead-Cain Scholars reflect on accomplishments

The Morehead Cain Scholarship, the oldest merit based scholarship in the US, provides opportunities for its scholars including financial assistance as well as a close-knit community of competitive peers.

Olivia Dunn

Greenville, North Carolina

Dunn, a graduate of D.H. Conley High School spread awareness about organ donation. Hoping to find a kidney match for her basketball coach, Dunn started a non-profit organization, Kidney for Coach. Her persistence led to mass media coverage, contributing to a successful transplant for her coach in 2012. She has since spoken at several events on organ donation in North Carolina. She hopes to study biology and political science at UNC Chapel Hill.

“I was only 14 years old and didn’t know how to help, so I started a website," Dunn said. "TV stations found out and attention grew. Now I’m trying to get people’s stories out there so it becomes more personal to get people thinking about becoming donors.”

Dunn has always wanted to go to UNC.

“I got that feeling of where I’m supposed to be: at UNC," she said. "The Morehead-Cain Scholarship is a huge dream come true for me."

Erik Johnson

Potomoc, Maryland

Johnson, a graduate of Winston Churchill High School, is passionate about connecting people with technology. He started an organization called ThinkBig to help introduce students to new technologies. Johnson co-organized events at his school including a TEDx talk that focused on introducing students to professionals, including filmmakers, photographers and designers. Johnson hopes to bring the same level of enthusiasm for education during his time at UNC.

“We wanted to introduce students to new technology that’s becoming more and more prevalent in today’s world," Johnson said. "The focus of our TED talk was on new technologies, potential career paths and aspects of life that aren’t covered in the classroom but need to be.”

Johnson hopes to use the Morehead scholarship to have global experiences.

“The summer experiences through the Morehead where I’ll get to go to other countries are very exciting," he said. "I want to go to countries to learn more about the environmental issues that affect them. Without the scholarship, I don’t think I’d have that opportunity.”

Ezra Rawitsch

Pasadena, California

Rawitsch, a graduate of the Polytechnic School, has worked hard to gather an appreciation for art and science within his school and the surrounding neighborhood. By founding Volume Magazine, his school’s magazine for the arts, and helping to organize and coordinate a youth-oriented TEDx conference at nearby Caltech, Rawitsch has encouraged youth in his community to explore art and science. He hopes to continue work in both disciplines at UNC by taking advantage of the Morehead-Cain Scholarship opportunities.

“The TEDx conference showed me the significance of having a set of values and creating an institution that showed those values without regard to profit, recognition or fame," Rawitsch said. "At a young age, kids think about what’s cool and what makes them feel like the world is an interesting place and what makes them feel like they are a part of something. Those are very significant intangible rewards ”

Rawitsch is excited to take part in the college experience.

“UNC is a stellar school, he said "I’ve even heard it described as a magical place. The Morehead is just a way to facilitate a different kind of Carolina experience that meshes as much as possible with what every student gets but also gives opportunities in different fields.”

Rachel Gideon

Rome, Georgia

Gideon, a graduate of the Darlington School, is working hard to better the lives of immigrants. She started her own business, Band Together, making and selling hair ties and headbands and then donating all of the profits to the Nashville International Center for Empowerment, a non-profit refugee resettlement organization. While in Nashville, she had the chance to interact with the beneficiaries of her actions by helping tutor them in English classes. While remaining passionate about advocacy for immigrants, Gideon is interested in studying economics and finance at UNC.

“It really helped me to connect with the people," Gideon said. "They are so inspiring — the things they went through and the sacrifices they continue to make so that their kids can go to college one day and be what they want to be.”

Gideon said she plans to embrace new experiences. 

“The Morehead-Cain Scholarship has taught me to never put yourself in a box," she said. "You can go out and try something new and you can fail — because there will be people behind you. I’m inspired by the people around me who are all so different and who are doing amazing things. UNC is where I want to be."