UNC announces initiatives to support students in the armed services

Military members can now take online courses while in service

Chancellor Carol Folt announces two new UNC initiatives for the Armed Services on Wednesday morning. Dr. Rob Bruce, Winston Crisp, and Jim Gregory also spoke at the occasion.  

As a military veteran, the founder of UNC-Chapel Hill, William Davie, would be especially proud of the University today. 

On May 20, Chancellor Folt announced the creation of two initiatives that seek to help both active duty and veteran members of the military achieve a college education, no matter where they are stationed. 

Due to the new GI Bill that emerged post-9/11, Folt said there has been an increase of nearly 95 percent in military students at UNC. UNC currently has the most on-campus military members since the end of World War II. 

“Access to education changes lives; it certainly changed mine,” Folt said. 

The first initiative announced is UNC Core, which streamlines the process for active-duty military members to complete their general education requirements remotely while serving. 

UNC Core will use the University's online course system to make it possible to take classes regardless of location. UNC Core courses will be available through the Friday Center. 

“If you cannot be present on this campus, we are going to take our resources, faculty and classes to you,” said Robert Bruce, director of the Friday Center. 

Bruce said the Friday Center began online classes in 1997, and now over 250 classes are being taught.  

Once completed, students can apply to any university to complete their education. 

UNC also announced the creation of the Student Veteran Assistance Program, which will be a full-time position in the Office of the Dean of Students that will be the single point of contact for military students. 

This position was created after hearing from military students that they needed this position to assist in their education at UNC. 

“One name, one face, no matter what the issue,” said Winston Crisp, vice chancellor for student affairs. 

Crisp, who comes from a military family, believes it is imperative for the University to equally serve all students regardless of background.

“It is a core principle of this University and certainly a core principle of student affairs that each and every single student that walks through these doors is supposed to have the same opportunity to learn and grow,” he said. “And we don’t care what adjective goes in front of student.” 

Crisp said there is value in bringing military students into the University due to the discipline, work ethic and sacrifices they have made serving the nation. 

The new initiatives not only serve to bring military members to the University but to also see them through to graduation. 

“To make sure our veteran students have the opportunity to flourish, not to just succeed and get in and out, but to actually flourish and succeed in the best way we can provide,” Crisp said.

Both initiatives will start later this summer. 

Air Force Capt. Henry Sims said the new initiatives will allow military members to start their education sooner and make the transition to civilian life easier. 

“This new program is a huge deal for someone who wants to take general educations requirements at the University of North Carolina,” he said. 

Sims graduated college from Parks College, where he was commissioned as an officer in the Air Force. All of his degrees since then have been completed while serving on active duty. 

Folt said even though the military members did not ask for help, the University is ready to provide it. 

“It has been my own observation that it is often the people that do the most that ask the least, and I think it is quite often the case with our military veterans and active duty service members, that they ask very little,” she said. “It is a special privilege for us to do something we think can make a really big difference.”