Students and Faculty remember Lt. Col. John Wade Collins

Students and faculty who knew Lt. Col. John Wade Collins, chairman of the Department of Aerospace Studies and commander of Air Force ROTC Detachment 590, say he exemplified this value every day.

Collins, 44, died in a car accident Monday morning on 15-501 near Pittsboro between Bynum Road and Ruth Lane.

Yolanda Gonzalez-Saavedra, a senior at Northwood High School and a Chapel Hill resident, was driving in the southbound lane when she crossed the median and rolled onto Collins’ 2008 Toyota Camry. Gonzalez-Saavendra was killed in the wreck, and her 14-year-old sister sustained non-life-threatening injuries.

Capt. Henry Sims Jr. of Det. 590 offered his condolences to Collins’ family and the family of the teenage girl who was killed in the crash.

“His work ethic and dedication are echoed by the outpour of support from the cadets, staff, faculty, university and military officials,” Sims said in an email.

Collins recently graduated his first class of 11 cadets since coming to UNC in July 2014.

“It takes a genuine being to leave such an imprint, and though we will not serve together, we will serve in the name of men and women like him who gave their time and energy to train future leaders,” 2nd Lt. Jerrod Powers said.

UNC graduate and 2nd Lt. Cheyna Elliot said Collins was a mentor to her this year.

“He led by example,” she said. “He wouldn’t ask something of us that he wasn’t able to do.”

Though he was only at UNC for one year, he adjusted quickly to life in the ROTC.

“When I first met him, he immediately knew my first and last name and what my job was in the detachment, and I had never spoken to him before,” Elliot said.

Collins, who taught in aerospace studies as an adjunct professor, was always supportive of his students.

“Having an 8 a.m. your senior year is rough, but knowing that you were coming in to class to a professor so enthused about preparing you for your future, it makes all the difference,” 2nd Lt. Carol Knight said.

Collins graduated from Texas A&M in 1992. He served at Yokota Air Base in Japan, Pope Army Airfield in North Carolina and Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas.

Collins is survived by his wife, son and two daughters. Pinecrest High School set up a fund for his family on gofundme.com. A Northwood High School teacher set up a gofundme for Gonzalez-Saavedra’s funeral expenses.

Collins’ memorial service will be held at Pinehurst United Methodist Church on June 11 at 2:00 p.m. Condolences and gifts may be sent to Boles Funeral Home.