Opinion: UNC should respond to graffiti with a robust dialogue

This editorial is not about spray paint. It is not about the cost of cleaning off Silent Sam or whether or not it’s OK to paint a public monument. That conversation, that debate about vandalism, is a distraction from bigger issues related to white supremacy.

The person or people who vandalized Silent Sam did so for a reason. It wasn’t irrational, and it wasn’t an accident.

We can’t know exactly why they made that decision, but here’s a guess: it was done in response to a lifetime of being told that black lives were disposable.

Whoever did this probably knew they were committing a crime and could face a fine of at least $500. And they did it anyway.

So it is fair to posit that this action came from a deep pain in response to the power of white supremacy and a need for their message to be heard by the UNC community.

With this in mind, the University’s response is especially disappointing.

In a statement on behalf of the University, UNC spokesman Rick White decried the painting of Silent Sam in a statement but said UNC was looking to push conversations about race forward.

“Carolina is working hard to ensure we have a thoughtful, respectful and inclusive dialogue on the issue,” he said in the statement.

If the University is looking to foster a thoughtful dialogue on race and our history, why not send the statement to the general student body? Why not have Chancellor Folt make a public statement?

Or why didn’t Houston Summers’ administration start a casual conversation among student on and off campus using technology like Google Hangout?

If the University welcomes dialogue, why wrap Silent Sam in white cloth and seal it with duct tape just hours after the paint was discovered?

As visitors to UNC passed the statue, they could see the paint and have a discussion about the history of the University and of our country.

They could debate among themselves the ways in which the Civil War should be remembered and commemorated. Covering up the paint removes the opportunity for conversations to start as onlookers pass the statue.

If the University sees the spray-painting of Silent Sam as disrespectful, why not turn those actions into a respectful conversation?

Why not host a “Campus Conversations” session over the summer? Enough students are on campus for summer classes, and many others are in the area over the summer.

If the University truly wants to foster a dynamic conversation, they should move quickly to open up and share with students.