Carrboro kicks off first craft and art market bazaar of the year

People typically flock to Carrboro for great food, awesome stores and top-notch people-watching. This weekend's The Bazaar Craft and Art Market fused all of these popular elements. 

Meghan and Duncan Morgan of High Street Design proposed a new festival to the Board of Aldermen on May 12 to address the need for a large-scale market for goods from a considerable number of local vendors.  

And from that proposal, The Bazaar was born.

The Bazaar, which is Carrboro's first open-air art festival, had its opening day on Sunday and will reoccur on Oct. 18 and Nov. 15. 

Board of Aldermen member Randee Haven-O'Donnell said in an email that each year, Carrboro’s many festivals like the Carrboro Farmers' Market, 2nd Friday ArtWalk and Carrboro Film Festival raise an enormous amount of revenue for the town. She anticipates that The Bazaar will do the same. 

The festival included food trucks, art stands and clothing and accessory booths — all of which are locally made. 

The mix of diverse Carrboro residents and the feel of fall in the air make The Bazaar stand out from other Carrboro festivals. However, the mission remains the same — creating an environment in which local artists are willing to express themselves in a variety of mediums. 

Katerena DePasquale, a Durham resident, said the festival was worth the drive. 

"The food, music and atmosphere make the festival both fun and different," she said. "It is a great addition to Carrboro’s art scene."

The innovative artists and craftspeople who call Carrboro home do so partly because the plethora of arts festivals makes for a welcoming environment. 

Brooke Brucke, owner of Dirty Soap Carrboro, said The Bazaar was a great opportunity for artists to meet and potentially collaborate in the future. 

“I'm thrilled with the opening day’s amazing turnout, and I believe that this eclectic festival will help to bring all the artists in the community closer together," she said.

Pittsboro resident Lysandra Weber, who had a stand for her clothing line geekchicfashion, expressed her enthusiasm about the first day of the festival. 

“The Bazaar is bringing so many different groups of people together — everywhere from Pittsboro to as far away as Raleigh,” she said. "I love it here, and I hope everyone else will."

@krawchecky0self