Hard work pays off for UNC football player Bug Howard

From the final whistle of 2014 through the spring and summer, North Carolina wide receiver Bug Howard worked.

Thursday night in UNC’s 17-14 loss against South Carolina, a bigger, faster, better Howard displayed the fruits of that work.

The junior played the best game of his career, snagging six passes for 114 yards to set new career highs and scoring the first and only touchdown of UNC’s young season.

“When he stepped on the field, he felt like he was the best receiver,” said senior quarterback Marquise Williams. “All our receivers, when they step on the field they feel like no one can guard them.”

Howard’s first reception was a 40-yard catch-and-run where he broke multiple tackles to jump-start UNC’s offense in the first quarter. That same drive, he broke another tackle on his 21-yard touchdown—displaying the strength he gained during the offseason.

Strength was Howard’s main focus during the offseason. He spent hours in the weight room this offseason lifting with Simon Haake, assistant strength and conditioning coach. Listed as a rail-thin, 6-foot-5 193 pounds as an incoming freshman, Howard bulked up and entered this season weighing 210 pounds.

Senior receiver Quinshad Davis said he’s seen Howard bench up to 300 pounds, and adds that Howard is playing more aggressively this season to take advantage of his size.

“He already had the height, now he can just bully (DBs) and go up and get the ball whenever he wants to,” Davis said.

With three receptions of more than 20 yards, Howard displayed speed along with his physicality. He rates himself as the fourth fastest UNC wide receiver — behind senior Damien Washington and juniors Mack Hollins and Ryan Switzer. Receivers can be competitive about their speed, but Howard added it was a pretty closed deal.

The only thing that limited Howard’s explosiveness Thursday night were drops. Howard dropped two passes, including one on UNC’s final possession. The other was after a hard hit from Gamecock safety Isaiah Johnson dislodged the ball from Howard, who would have converted a 3rd and 15.

“(I) didn’t see the hit coming,” Howard said. “(Williams) put it on a great spot. When I caught the ball, I actually turned right into (the defender). I just got to hold on to the football.”

However, the drops did not dissuade Williams from looking Howard’s way, targeting him eleven times — the most by any UNC receiver.

Williams expects Howard to continue to be a focal point of the offense. After compiling a quarter of his yardage in 2014 through only one game in 2015, Howard seems primed for a massive season. But he’s not content to rest.

He still has work to do.