UNC saxophonist, quartet celebrate new album

Przedpelski, a saxophonist and junior transfer student from just outside of New York City, has been playing music since he was two years old and comes from a particularly musical family.

His quartet’s first album was recorded in a mere two hours by creating a makeshift — yet professional — recording studio in the Kenan Music Building.

They cut costs by using a free studio space and by enlisting their friend, junior Breton Nicholas, to engineer and mix the album.

While the entire process only took about a month and a half, Przedpelski said the worst part was waiting during production — recording was the easiest.

“(The process) wasn’t crazy until it was done,” quartet member and junior Atticus Reynolds said.

Wild Goose Chase is comprised of six songs: three original compositions, one jazz standard and two other melodies which were mostly created through improvisation and the help of Przedpelski’s talented friends.

Now, the quartet will celebrate the launch of their album, Wild Goose Chase, with a free performance tonight.

Przedpelski originally attended the College of Charleston but left after a year. He said he needed a bigger challenge, both musically and academically. He found this in his mentor, saxophonist, composer and bandleader Branford Marsalis of Durham, who has worked with artists such as Sting and The Grateful Dead.

“Branford Marsalis is one of the greatest living saxophonists today,” Przedpelski said.

Upon arriving at UNC, he quickly met the people who would become his bandmates and close friends. The quartet used to play steady gigs on Franklin Street, which prompted the creation of Wild Goose Chase.

“I am young,” Przedpelski said. “But I needed to release something publicly to jump start my career.”

UNC students David Klingman, the band’s pianist, and Reynolds, the drummer, are also featured on the album. Philip Norris, the bassist, is still in high school.

Klingman said working with Przedpelski keeps him on his toes, but that provides a fun and creative atmosphere in which they feed off of each other’s ideas.

“I feel like I have a really nice opportunity to work with them,” he said of his bandmates.

The album is available on most streaming music services, including iTunes, Spotify, Rhapsody and CD Baby, where it was chosen as editor’s pick a week after it was uploaded.

Although the jazz music scene isn’t prominent within Przedpelski’s generation or among his peers, he says that it is growing, especially around the Chapel Hill area.

“It’s really trying to succeed and grow,” he said. “It just needs the attention of people.”

But no matter what, Przedpelski will continue to play for his sheer love of jazz and music in general.

“I use jazz as an instrument to become a better musician,” he said. “I don’t consider myself a jazz musician, just a musician.”

@MariaMullis2017