Viewpoints: Privatization is a bad deal for the University

CORRECTION: Due to an editing error, a previous version of this op-ed contained an introduction that misstated the number of student stores owned by Follett nationwide. Follett owns more than 1,000 stores. The article has been updated to reflect this change.

THE ISSUE: Two months ago, Follett, a company that owns more than a thousand student stores at universities nationwide, submitted a proposal to take over the operations of UNC’s Student Stores. View the opposing viewpoint here.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

This mantra applies to the possible privatization of Student Stores. Student government should stand firmly against this plan. There is no evidence that Follett, the company proposing the lease, will decrease textbook costs. After privatizing with Follett, Florida’s St. Petersburg College bookstore systematically overcharged for books. The overcharges amounted to over $800,000 in a seven-year period, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Student Stores is not losing money and is providing scholarships. Matthew Fajack, vice chancellor for finance and administration, creates a false dichotomy when he says we must choose between employment and supplying more scholarship funds. Privatization is not merely losing a couple of people.

Bull’s Head Bookshop employee and sophomore César Rodriguez said many of these employees depend on their jobs at Student Stores to make ends meet. He also said it was impossible to know if Follett would rehire any employees.

Ultimately, privatization may sever the ties Student Stores has created with the Chapel Hill community in its 100 years. Rodriguez said that many community members buy at Student Stores because they always have. Bull’s Head Bookshop hosts unique readings with major authors and hosts book clubs. Is it doubtful that a firm hellbent on profit alone will serve the community so uniquely.

There is simply too much at stake to privatize Student Stores.