LIGHT Art + Design: The Contemporaries

LIGHT Art + Design is currently showing The Contemporaries, an eclectic exhibition featuring the distinctive works of artists Carrie Alter, Amanda Barr, Charles Chace, Casey Cook, Lynda Curry, Jimmy Fountain, Heather Gordon, Harrison Haynes, Harriet Hoover, Leigh Suggs and Steven Walls — all of whom reside in the Triangle area. 

Sarah Blaine, LIGHT Art + Design’s gallery manager, said she is excited about the new exhibit because it highlights each artist’s recent and individualistic works.  

“It’s a vibrant show with lots of new and different works in all different mediums,” she said. “This group of young, creative artists is getting a lot of buzz right now, and we’re excited to display their work.”

The exhibition will be on view until Nov. 21. 

FRANK: Sense of Self

One of three exhibitions currently on view in FRANK Gallery, “Sense of Self” honors the Triangle’s photography month. This is FRANK’s first high school photo competition.  

Torey Mishoe, the gallery manager of FRANK, said her excitement stems from the fact that this is a great complement to photography month. 

“This is the first time that we’ve done something like this,” she said. “We wanted to involve young Triangle community members in a celebration of youthful photography.”

Forty total photography entries came from East Chapel Hill and Riverside high schools, of which 15 finalists and three winners were chosen based on technical experience, composition and artistic merit. 

The exhibition will be on view until Nov. 8. 

ArtsCenter: Laura Berendsen Hughes

ArtsCenter is currently showing a collection of Laura Berendsen Hughes’ horse paintings. The paintings are all rich in color, texture and energy, making the exhibit visually exciting for horse lovers and art lovers alike. 

ArtsCenter’s gallery coordinator Heather Gerni met Hughes at a retreat on the coast a couple of years ago. Gerni said she immediately fell in love with Hughes’ artistic style and expression, and their interaction led to Hughes applying for a show at ArtsCenter. 

“Obviously her paintings resonate with people who love horses; however, I have heard many people comment on how they typically wouldn't be attracted to a painting of a horse but that they are with hers," she said. “I think people appreciate Laura's use of color, texture and layering and her balance between figurative and abstract representation.” 

The exhibition will be on display until Oct. 31. 

@krawchecky0self