UNC alumni unite on the set of FOX's 'Grandfathered'

Hendricks won awards for her multimedia packages during her time as a journalism student, and Patel’s documentary, “Meet the Patels,” has been called an Academy Award contender.

The two graduated from UNC 13 years apart. But now, the Fox show “Grandfathered” is bringing them together. Patel is a recurring character, and Hendricks works in post-production on the show.

Their meeting was a coincidence.

“I had to give Ravi a ride on set and basically escort him to do (additional dialogue recording). On the way back, we were talking, and I told him I graduated from college not too long ago. He asked where I went, and I said, ‘UNC,’ and he said, ‘Oh no way, me too.’ And I thought he was joking around,” Hendricks said. “He was like, ‘No, for real, I went to UNC.’”

As an actor on the show, Patel said his role was one of the best he’s had. He was auditioning for another pilot when he was approached.

“Afterwards they said, ‘We don’t actually have a role for you on ‘Grandfathered.’ We’re having trouble finding someone to be (John Stamos’) best friend. We wanted someone 50 to 55 years old. But come in to read for this part. Maybe they’ll change the character.’”

And they did.

“They changed the character’s name to Ravi, and now he’s like a completely different dude.”

For Hendricks, the show offers a way to continue her career in TV production. A former multimedia editor for The Daily Tar Heel, Hendricks thrives on the stressful moments before deadline.

“Whatever you’re imagining, multiply by 10,” she said. “There’s a lot of people it has to go through — the cut process, a lot of back and forth, notes and editing. It’s a good kind of chaos.”

Fox has already ordered six more scripts for “Grandfathered,” which has a 7.3 out of 10 rating on IMDB.

“I’m not sure the ratings are that good,” Patel said. “Every time we’re on, we’re up against something big, like a debate or baseball. But it’s cool people that people seem to like it.”

For UNC senior Natalie Carney, a dramatic art and communication studies major, “Grandfathered” allows her to see a future that seems unattainable.

“I’ve never watched ‘Grandfathered,’ but I’ve seen ads for it, and it seems like a pretty good show,” she said. “I didn’t know that that actor went to UNC, but that’s really awesome to see someone from here go far like that.”

For Hendricks, the connection between her and Patel just proves how far UNC’s network reaches.

“We always say ‘hi’ to each other now. He’s a great guy, nice guy,” she said.

“It’s crazy how small this world is.”

Kristina Kokkonos contributed reporting.

@sarahvasselloarts@dailytarheel.com