But two games later, the Tar Heels’ resume shows a pair of blemishes.

After an overtime loss on Thursday at Louisville, No. 1 UNC (11-2-1, 4-2-0 ACC) dropped its second consecutive match with Sunday’s 1-0 loss to No. 2 Florida State (12-1-1, 5-0-1 ACC), falling to 4-2 in ACC competition.

With the victory, the Seminoles now own the best record in the ACC and remain undefeated in conference play.

The first half was a battle between UNC senior goalkeeper Bryane Heaberlin and the Seminoles’ attack. Florida State outshot the Tar Heels 12-5 in the first half, but Heaberlin made crucial saves to keep the score at zero.

Coach Anson Dorrance was proud of Heaberlin’s effort, but noted the score could have easily been in favor of Florida State going into halftime.

The Tar Heels came out stronger in the second half, notching five shots and keeping the Seminoles to just three. One of the three made it to the back of net.

On a defensive mishap, Florida State’s Berglind Thorvaldsdottir got possession of the ball in the box and drilled it past Heaberlin, putting the Seminoles up 1-0 with just over 11 minutes to play.

And while both teams managed a couple of offensive pushes in the remaining minutes, the score remained in Florida State’s advantage — giving UNC its second loss of the season.

Despite the losses, the Tar Heels remain undefeated at home this season — a record which Duke will put to the test this Friday.

Quotable

“What you’re hoping (for) after a loss or collection of losses is there is a re-commitment to winning. We have got some excellent leadership and some kids trying to be the best they can be. They have some real promise, and that is good to see as a coach.” — Dorrance on UNC’s mentality going forward.

Notable

Sunday’s loss was only the ninth time in program history the Tar Heels have dropped two consecutive games.

Three numbers that matter

12: Fouls committed by the Tar Heels in the loss to Florida State.

20: Tar Heel players who saw the field in the first half, while the team tried to keep the Seminoles scoreless.

2: Shots on goal for UNC during the entirety of Sunday’s contest.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels will take on Duke at Fetzer Field at 7 p.m. on Friday.

@Kayleigh_Payne7