Global Take-Off program makes study abroad more accessible

The trip, a part of the new Global Take-Off initiative, allows underrepresented students to experience studying abroad.

“There is an increasing awareness of the character and the composition of the students who go abroad,” said Louis Pérez, a professor of history who helped organize the trip. “We’re looking at social background, cultural background, gender, in-state and out-of-state students.”

Pérez said the opportunity to study abroad — particularly in a country where English is not used — allows students to understand more about a different culture and what it means to be an American in the 21st century.

Jaclyn Gilstrap, program director for the Center for Global Initiatives, said many students at the University do not have the opportunity to experience another culture. She said white, upper-class students tend to study abroad at higher rates than students with different backgrounds.

“We have begun what we call our open-access initiative, and this brings people together all around campus who are working together to open access to global opportunities to students who are underrepresented,” she said.

Gilstrap said she hopes more students go abroad with the initiative, made possible by a donation from UNC alumna Maribel Carrion.

Carrion, an Information and Technology Services senior director, provided the money for the Puerto Rico trip — along with money that will allow future first-years to make similar trips for the next five years.

Carrion, who is Puerto Rican, is on the Alumni Committee for Racial and Ethnic Diversity, which provides underrepresented students with opportunities they might not receive otherwise.

“I had a long corporate career which left me in a position where I could give back, and it’s really nice when you can give back and see the impact. It just makes you want to do more,” Carrion said. “(The students) were all, to the every last one of them, so excited.”

Marquise Drayton, a first-year majoring in dramatic art who went on the Puerto Rico trip, said the experience gave him an understanding of Puerto Rico’s culture and economic situation, along with a more profound appreciation of his own life in the U.S.

“I applied, and I remember it like it was just yesterday, and I was sitting outside of Lenoir, waiting for my phone call,” Drayton said.“I got the phone interview, and it went pretty well, and when I went home, I got a call from Jaclyn, and she said, ‘Are you ready to go to Puerto Rico?’”

Drayton said the trip was a great experience, and while it was only four days long, it beat going home.

“It definitely makes me more curious about Spanish and taking up on that language for more opportunities,” he said.