UNC mens soccer defeats Coastal Carolina 2-1 in first NCAA Tournament game

Two weeks ago when the No. 4 North Carolina men’s soccer team took the field, the offense could only muster one goal in regulation, ultimately losing to Syracuse in penalty kicks in the ACC Tournament. 

But in UNC’s first game of the NCAA Tournament against No. 20 Coastal Carolina, the Tar Heels struck quickly and never looked back in a 2-1 win. 

Redshirt junior forward Tucker Hume collected his team-high 11th goal of the season in only the second minute of play. Sophomore midfielder David October fired a cross from the right side that deflected off the fingertips of the diving keeper and right to Hume, who cleaned it up for the score. 

Hume made only his third start of the season, and played the entire first half. The Tar Heel offense looked dangerous throughout, mustering ten shots in the first half. Hume nearly scored a second goal, but the ball ricocheted off the post directly into the keeper's hands as he lay on the ground. 

After a collision left starting keeper James Pyle with a bandage around his head, redshirt senior keeper Sam Euler turned in a superb performance in relief. He came charging off of his line multiple times to snag the ball before Coastal Carolina could create a shot. He finished with two saves in 55 minutes of play. 

UNC slowed the pace of play somewhat in the second half, but still earned an insurance goal from sophomore forward Zach Wright with five minutes to play. 

Coastal Carolina did mount a final, desperate effort. A goal with under three minutes remaining pulled them within one, then a foul by UNC gave them a free kick just outside the box. It sailed high, however, and UNC was able to hold on for the win. 

Quotable

"They're a great team and they played a great game, and we're really proud to come out on the positive side against such a good team as Coastal . . . I think we earned it tonight." — Coach Carlos Somoano on his team's victory. 

Notable

UNC's next opponent, Creighton, was undefeated for 15 straight games earlier this season. Both teams were ranked No. 1 and No. 2 for a large portion of the season, and will meet in the third round of the NCAA tournament next weekend. 

Three numbers that matter

55: The number of minutes Euler played in relief of Pyle tonight, preserving UNC's streak of seven games with a goal or less allowed. 

3: The number of starts for Hume this season. He leads UNC with 11 goals. 

6: The number of players Coastal Carolina had who are taller than 6-foot-4. This negated the size advantage Hume usually holds over opponents, but he finished with a goal and an assist anyways. 

What's next?

UNC will play Creighton at Fetzer Field in the third round of the NCAA Tournament next weekend on either Saturday or Sunday. 

@loganulrich