UNC men's soccer loses in ACC Tournament quarterfinals in penalty kicks

Just like the last time the North Carolina men's soccer team played Syracuse, the Orange walked into the locker room at halftime with a 1-0 lead. 

But unlike then, when the Tar Heels came back to win 2-1, Syracuse held on to defeat UNC in penalty kicks 4-3 after failing to break a 1-1 tie through regulation and overtime. 

Both teams had trouble generating offense in the first half of the ACC quarterfinal match, combining for only four total shots. UNC was without the services of sophomore forward Alan Winn, who could not play because of a red card he received in the regular season finale against Virginia. 

But Syracuse managed to break through in the 28th minute. A skipping cross from Liam Callahan bounced off defender Jonathan Campbell and into the goal. 

The Tar Heels picked up steam in the second half, leaving in first half substitutes Tucker Hume and Andy Lopez at forward and shifting sophomore forward Zach Wright to the right wing. That switch helped generate eight second-half shots for UNC — including Hume's equalizing goal, which came from a shot near the top left corner of the box, was deflected off a diving goalkeeper and went inside the near post for the goal. 

Despite several other chances, neither team could break through in the second half and overtime. In penalty kicks, a few brilliant saves by redshirt first-year goalkeeper James Pyle helped keep UNC alive. But ultimately misses by Campbell, Warren Marshall and Alex Olofson doomed UNC's chances. 

Quotable

"You get into the postseason play against a legitimate top ten team and think that you’re going to score four or five goals, that’s probably not a realistic expectation. All we’re looking for is one more than the opponent, and I think we had chances today." — Coach Carlos Somoano

Notable

This was the first time the goalkeeper for either team had played a match that went into penalty kicks. 

All three Tar Heels who missed penalty kicks were seniors. 

Three numbers that matter

10: The number of goals for redshirt junior forward Tucker Hume, which leads the Tar Heels this season. 

8: The number of second-half shots for the Tar Heels after shifting Wright to the wing. 

4: The number of saves for Pyle. He added two more in penalty kicks. 

What's next? 

The Tar Heels will learn their seed for the NCAA Tournament at 1 p.m. on Nov. 16. The first round will be on Nov. 19. Sixteen teams will automatically receive a pass to the second round, which will be on Nov. 22. 

@loganulrich