Student stores pharmacy celebrates its grand opening today

The Student Stores Pharmacy will be next to the textbook and course materials department on the third floor. Until now, Campus Health Services only had one pharmacy on the ground floor of Campus Health.

“The Student Stores Pharmacy provides a more traditional retail or community-type pharmacy, where our main focus is really filling prescriptions for students, faculty and staff,” said Amy Sauls, Campus Health’s pharmacy director.

While the pharmacy at Campus Health also orders and supplies medications used throughout the clinic and by the University’s sports teams, Sauls said the Student Stores location provides its own added convenience by opening on Saturdays and providing over-the-counter pharmaceutical products.

“We’re one pharmacy team, but with two pharmacies,” Sauls said.

She said two part-time pharmacists, Gretchen Jenkins and Argelia Goodner, were hired specifically for the new pharmacy.

“We want there to be some continuity of the pharmacists there, so they can get to know their patients,” Sauls said.

Jenkins said the new pharmacy facilitates accessible healthcare for students, faculty and staff. Students filling prescriptions also have the option to charge copays and prescription costs to their student accounts.

“With the pharmacy being so visible, we want to be a good resource for students if they have any questions about medications or over-the-counter items,” Jenkins said. “Both Argelia and I are very open to answering questions and talking to students.”

With several years of experience as a retail pharmacist, Jenkins said operations at the Student Stores space are very similar to those at retail locations such as Walgreens and CVS.

“We have a really good support system with Student Stores being very helpful, and the transition has been very smooth,” Jenkins said.

Associate Vice Chancellor for Campus Enterprises Brad Ives provided a statement about the partnership between Student Stores and the pharmacy.

“We are pleased to partner with Campus Health Services to provide a pharmacy operation in the Student Stores as an improved convenience for the campus community,” Ives said.

Even though the space for the new pharmacy is rented from Student Stores, Sauls said the pharmacy could continue to occupy its space if recently discussed proposals to privatize Student Stores move forward.

The grand opening will include free giveaways during the day for stopping by the pharmacy, and visitors are encouraged to enter to win a $200 Student Stores gift card.

The Student Stores Pharmacy will be open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., as well as Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“So far, all we’ve gotten are positive responses,” Sauls said.