NC rapper wrote on ‘To Pimp a Butterfly’

Processed with VSCOcam with e5 preset
Processed with VSCOcam with e5 preset

Originally from Snow Hill, N.C., she was featured on “Complexion (A Zulu Love),” a track on Kendrick Lamar’s Grammy-winning album, “To Pimp a Butterfly.”

“People who may not have known me now see me as an artist and as a talent who’s made music with one of the best artists to walk this planet,” she said.

The two met in 2011 when Lamar stopped by her manager’s studio.

“He liked the label a lot so we talked about music, went to Cook-Out and really started up a friendship,” she said.

After doing a show together at and recording a song for Evans’ mixtape, “For Everything,” Lamar asked her to record “Complexion,” a song about colorism in the African-American community.

“He had this concept. He said we’re all beautiful as human beings, but I really want to do something for our people,” she said.

Two years later, Lamar sent her the track’s beat, and she wrote her verse that night.

“I heard from him the next day, and he was like, ‘You killed it. It’s crazy,’” she said.

She said her eagerness to write the verse came from believing in the song’s message.

“It’s personal for me. I grew up with issues with my complexion,” she said. “It’s needed for our community, especially for women and little girls.”

With 11 Grammy nominations and five wins, the album has been praised for its poetic lyrics that openly discuss race.

“I think colorism has been awfully divisive in the black community for a very long time, so songs like this that bring awareness to this plight are incredibly progressive and should be promoted,” said sophomore Daniela Rangel.

Junior Aaron Williams said he appreciated the album.

“I think that the Kendrick Lamar album, and ‘Complexion’ in particular, is very empowering to the community in terms of shifting views of how we think about each other,” he said.

Evans said personal messages from fans have been the most rewarding part.

“I’ll see tweets from both men and women about how the song has touched them or has made them cry because they’ve lived the story,” she said. “These are the moments I hold on to.”

Another important moment was attending the 58th Grammy Awards.

“You step on that red carpet, and you’re walking shoulder-to-shoulder with legends in the music industry,” she said.

Despite sitting by Don Cheadle and Ciara, Evans said the best part was taking her mom.

“She had a ball. It felt so good to see her proud of me being recognized as a Grammy-nominated artist,” she said.

Rapsody said she hopes her success can inspire others.

“I’m from the small town of Snow Hill, and it doesn’t matter. Anything is possible.”

@yayjennic