Opinion: Wilson Library needs donations to hire new archivist

One could spend days combing through the extensive papers, documents and information contained inside the African American Documentary Resources in the Wilson Library Southern Historical Collection. Just trying to scratch the surface of these resources can be an overwhelming task.

In order to help the community better utilize these documents, the Southern Historical Collection was given a challenge grant for $500,000 contingent on it raising $1.5 million by 2020 on its own to hire an archivist for this collection. This is a wonderful opportunity for the Carolina community to come together and donate to the cause of better preserving this important history — if you have the means, please consider donating.

The stories in this collection are the stories of people this university has, for much of its history, ignored or forgot. It is imperative we make sure we do not allow the further erasure of the African-American community’s history.

Sure the documents can exist in the library with or without an archivist, but they will have no context, and it will be nearly impossible for the full story of the collection to be told.

We understand some might want to donate but are not able due to financial reasons — we definitely understand this. All we are asking is to do what you can.

If you are unable to donate, consider posting on social media about this — maybe one your friends would be able to donate.

We can all do something to make this important position a reality. Let’s make sure this collection reaches its maximum potential in informing our community.