TEDx brings perspectives about bodies to campus

The conference, called “Bodies: Being Human,” will take place in Memorial Hall from noon to 6 p.m. The event will have two sessions from noon to 2:30 p.m. and 4 to 6 p.m. as well as a breakout session in between.

“We have all different types of topics ranging from things like disability, things like anti-slut shaming, things like the importance of physical touch,” senior Olivia Nicolaus, one of the event’s organizers, said.

The speakers include comedy duo Krystyna Hutchinson and Corinne Fisher from the popular anti-slut shaming podcast “Guys We F****d.” UNC senior Sarah McShane will give a talk on the similarities of birth and death, and UNC professor Stephanie Zerwas will discuss how social media affects body image. Los Angeles hairdresser Kyle Krieger will talk about his battle with addiction.

Nicolaus said the breakout session will let attendees talk face-to-face with speakers. There will also be a 3-D printing center and virtual reality headsets.

For the first time, TEDxUNC is offering first-come, first-serve admission, which will continue to be free.

Nicolaus and her co-organizer senior Ashita Gona said TEDxUNC oversold tickets in past years, but several hundred seats were still left unfilled.

“The capacity of Memorial (Hall) is about 1,400, and we wanted to make it as accessible as possible, and we always had several hundred open seats,” Nicolaus said.

Senior Lindsey Terrell, in the marketing and publicity division of TEDxUNC, said representing the event as first-come, first-served has been a focus of marketing this year. Terrell said she thinks the change will bring more people to the event.

“I think that putting it out there that it’s totally first-come, first-served, entry is free — that will definitely get more people to come,” Terrell said.

Gona said coming very early to the event isn’t necessary.

“The doors open at 11:30. People can come a little bit before that or between 11:30 and 12 — that would be fine,” Gona said.

Gona and Terrell said they’re expecting Memorial Hall to be mostly occupied but not at full capacity, based on the interest level they’ve seen.

“We’re expecting to not quite fill up, but we’re shooting to fill up,” Terrell said.

Senior Maxim Blyakher said he will be attending about 75 percent of the event.

“My roommate actually told me about it ... he’s like, ‘Hey, you want to go to TEDx?’ and I was like, ‘Why not?’ But I have no idea what the topic is or anything,” Blyakher said.

Senior Tatiana Colon plans to attend part of the conference if she has time.

“TEDx has been very popular on campus before throughout my entire time at Carolina, so I think it’s definitely something that I would think about checking out.”