Wednesday June 29th

UNC fencing finds success at Philadelphia Invitational

The UNC men’s and women’s teams both finished 3-2 at Sunday’s Philadelphia Invitational, which was postponed because of weather in January.

The men’s team defeated Lafayette (21-6), Haverford (17-10) and Drew (22-5), while falling to the New Jersey Institute of Technology (18-9) and Penn (17-10).

The women’s team defeated NJIT (20-7), Haverford (22-5) and Drew (25-2), while losing close meets to Cornell (16-11) and Penn (14-13).

Coach Ron Miller said he was pleased with his teams’ performance, calling it one of the team’s most complete performances this season, especially considering the competition.

Miller said he was pleased to see each of the weapons groups pick up points in bouts and believed there was a really good balance between all three weapons; that no weapon had to carry another for points.

“The main thing is consistency is starting to pick up,” Miller said. “I really can’t be disappointed with what we did this weekend.”

Top individual performances included those from women’s sabre starters Noa Allen, Meredith Bozentka and Sarah Hanvy. Allen finished 13-2, while Bozentka and Hanvy went 12-3 and 11-4, respectively. These three formed the only UNC women’s weapon class to beat Penn.

First-year Sydney Persing led the way for UNC with a 9-4 record in women’s foil, while sophomore Sara Moreno and first-year Erin O’Neill both finished with 9-6 records in women’s epee.

On the men’s side, first-year Matthew Garrelick finished with a 12-2 record with the sabre, while senior Alexander Burte compiled an 8-2 record with the foil.

Quotable

“Some of our weapons could challenge for the top two, definitely top three ...We’re peaking at the right time.” — Miller on his teams’ expectations for the ACC Championships.

Notable

Miller said first-year foil Alicia Chen qualified to compete in regional competition after going 7-1 in her bouts.

3 numbers that matter

6: UNC shut out an opposing team’s weapon class six times.

0: UNC wasn’t shut out in any weapon class.

13: The Tar Heels competed in 13 events decided by a single bout.

What’s next?

UNC competes in the ACC Championships on Saturday and Sunday in South Bend, Ind.

@sjdoughton

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022