JB Bukauskas, AJ Bogucki combine to shut out Pittsburgh 4-0

On Friday against Pittsburgh, it was the bats that propelled the No. 10 North Carolina baseball team to a lopsided 14-2 victory. On Saturday it was the pitchers turn to lead the way. 

In Game 2 of the series, sophomore J.B. Bukauskas and junior A.J. Bogucki combined to shut out the Panthers and give the Tar Heels a 4-0 win.

After Bukauskas worked a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the first, the Tar Heels (12-1) came to the plate with the same swagger that carried them the night before. After both sophomore Brian Miller and junior Adam Pate reached base on singles, first-year Kyle Datres moved them over with a sac bunt. 

The next batter, junior Tyler Ramirez, singled to left-center to score the runners. Before Bukauskas had thrown his 12th pitch of the day, North Carolina already led Pittsburgh (6-6) 2-0. It was all the cushion that the right-hander needed. 

Over the next six innings, Bukauskas would give up just five hits and strike out another 10 batters, putting his total on the day at 11 — a new career high. 

At the plate, UNC added two more runs in the third inning — the first on an RBI ground-out from Datres and the second on a solo home run by Ramirez.

When Bukauskas left after the seventh inning, the Tar Heels were up 4-0. Several times in 2015, North Carolina carried a lead into the late innings, only to have the bullpen allow opponents to tie the game back up or even win. 

Bogucki made sure it wouldn't be the case this time. 

In the top of the eighth inning, the junior got into some trouble after allowing consecutive one-out singles, but settled down and caused the next two batters to fly out to the right fielder. Both times Bogucki was behind in the count. 

In the frame, Bogucki began by walking the Panthers' Aaron Schnurbusch on five pitches. But, just like he did the inning before, the right-handed reliever worked out of trouble — closing out the game for the Tar Heels and giving the team its first ACC series win of the season. 

Quotable

"That might be J.B.'s best performance as a Tar Heel. He had some good outings for us last year but that's about as complete a game as we've seen him throw. I thought just right out of the gate he was under control." — Coach Mike Fox on Bukauskas' performance.

Notable

Bukauskas, who struck out a career-high 11 Panther batters on the day, currently has a K/9 of 14.43. He came into the series ranked sixth nationally in strikeouts per nine innings.  

Three numbers that matter

11: With the victory, the Tar Heels have now won 11 straight games. This is the most games North Carolina has won in a row since 2013. That season, UNC made it to the College World Series.

2: After a two-hit day Saturday, Ramirez currently leads the Tar Heels in batting average (.458) and RBIs (18). He is also tied for the team lead in home runs (3). 

2: In two games against Pittsburgh, the Tar Heels have only given up two runs. Coming into the series, the Panthers led all Division-I teams with 10.3 runs per game. 

What's next?

The Tar Heels will play the Panthers in the final game of the series at 12 p.m. on Sunday. 

@jbo_vernon