Netflix star Diane Guerrero talks immigration

Diane Guerrero speaks at the Great Hall in the Student Union about her personal experiences and immigration reform. 

Known for her roles on “Orange is the New Black” and “Jane the Virgin,” Guerrero gave a lecture in the Great Hall of the Student Union on Sunday, sponsored by the Carolina Union Activities Board, the Carolina Latina/o Collaborative and Students United for Immigrant Equality.

Guerrero shared her story of growing up and pursuing her dreams without her family, as her parents and older brother were deported to Colombia when she was 14.

“I came home from school one day, and they were gone,” Guerrero said. “All my fears had come true.”

Guerrero went through high school and college without their support, staying with family friends while her family was in Colombia.

When she was 24, Guerrero moved to New York and faced countless auditions and rejections until she was given the role of Maritza Ramos in the Netflix original series “Orange is the New Black." Even when she got the role, she realized stardom wasn’t enough.

“I soon realized that this whole selfish pursuit of being a star actually allowed me to have a platform that I didn’t realize was going to come with the glitzy stuff,” she said.

She said her parents came to the U.S. hoping to achieve the American dream.

“Like many other families, they got stuck in this process of trying to obtain citizenship and failing every time,” she said.

Guerrero said while she isn’t trying to tell people what laws should be passed, it’s apparent there is a problem with the U.S. visa system, and she believes the issue isn’t going to be solved by building a wall.

“We have a broken immigration system,” she said. “It didn’t work for my parents, and it’s not working for 11 million undocumented people here in this country.”

First-year Sidney Morris said Guerrero made her realize serious action needs to be taken to reform immigration policy in the United States.

Guerrero now works as a volunteer for the Immigrant Legal Resource Center, a nonprofit group that advocates for immigrants’ rights. She also speaks out to educate individuals on the resources for immigrants obtaining citizenship.

“If I had known there were all the resources that I know of now, my family might still be here,” Guerrero said. “I want to help others so that they don’t have to go through the same thing.”

Sophomore Mishelle Duran said Guerrero provides a much-needed voice for the Latino population.

“She has a way of getting all of this information out there, and it definitely needs to be heard,” she said.

Guerrero said during her journey she remembered four important things — be resilient, be resourceful, be respectful and be purposeful.

“I urge you to find what’s important to you, what you’re passionate about and fight for it.”