UNC baseball feeds off Sutherland’s play in win

On Wednesday, the No. 11 North Carolina baseball team needed one of those fires.

After news broke that usual Tar Heel shortstop Logan Warmoth was held out of the game due to a violation of team rules, senior infielder Eli Sutherland — who delivered a walk-off single in UNC’s Sunday win against Oklahoma State — was moved from second base into the starting spot at shortstop.

Shortstop is one of the more demanding positions in baseball, but Sutherland proved more than capable, leading the Tar Heels to a comeback 11-6 win against Winthrop.

“He’s probably the most well-liked and respected player on our team,” Coach Mike Fox said. “He’s a senior and doesn’t say anything, very humble.

“Everyone pulls for Eli.”

With no outs in the top of the second inning, Sutherland was able to snuff out an Eagles’ rally, making a diving stop that started the first half of a double play.

Primarily used as a defensive specialist with his 5-foot-9, 170-pound frame, Sutherland does not have the makeup of a prototypical rally starter in the batter’s box. But he was able to play the part Wednesday.

In the bottom of the seventh inning, with Winthrop up 5-3, Sutherland assumed his role as the spark for the Tar Heel offense out of the eight-hole.

On a 1-0 pitch from Eagles’ reliever Thad Harris, Sutherland delivered his first home run as a Tar Heel, swinging momentum back in UNC‘s favor.

“I felt pretty good ... I saw a good fastball and laid a good swing on it,” he said.

Sutherland’s home run got the Tar Heel dugout back into the game, and a snowball effect ensued.

Eight runs on six hits, and the scoreboard was back in the Tar Heels’ favor.

“We feed off guys doing well ... We feed off each other, our dugout, “ said sophomore Zack Gahagan. “It’s a big role in how we play.”

Gahagan and Sutherland combined to go 6-for-8 at the plate on the day. The former said Sutherland’s play helped kickstart the rest of the Tar Heels’ bats.

“It’s awesome, he’s a hard worker, and I’m happy for him,” he said. “He had a good swing of the bat.”

Sutherland has assumed a leadership role amid a young group of Tar Heels, and his performance of late only strengthens his spot on the team.

“The ones like Eli, that do everything right and just don’t say a whole lot, they’re cheered for maybe a little harder.” Coach Mike Fox said.

The senior, humble as advertised, summed up his recent success concisely.

“It feels pretty good, man.”