UNC baseball uses eight-run inning to blow past Pittsburgh in ACC-opener

In its first ACC contest of the season, the North Carolina baseball team used an eight-run fifth inning to vanquish the Pittsburgh Panthers 14-2 in the first game of a three-game series. 

Coming off of an impressive 11-5 victory over previously undefeated Gardner Webb on Tuesday, the Tar Heel (11-1) bats carried momentum into the early innings. 

In the bottom of the second inning, first-year Tyler Lynn and senior Eli Sutherland led off with a single and double respectively. The next two Tar Heels scored Lynn and Sutherland on sacrifice flys, giving UNC a quick 2-0 lead over the Panthers (6-5). 

North Carolina tacked on another run in the bottom of the third inning, giving junior pitcher Zac Gallen plenty of room to work. In eight innings of work, the right-hander from Gibbsboro, N.J. gave up just four hits and struck out eight batters. 

UNC led by just two runs heading into the bottom of the fifth inning, but that lead ballooned to 10 runs before the top of the sixth inning began. 

The Tar Heels sent 12 batters to the plate in the frame. Sophomore Brian Miller, who came into the game batting .419, went 2-for-2 with a single, a double, a run scored and two RBIs in the inning. 

North Carolina scored three more runs over the next two innings, putting its lead at 14-1, where it would remain for the rest of the day. Friday marked the second time this season that UNC scored 14 runs in a contest, the first being a 14-5 win over UCLA on Feb. 21.

Quotable

"We're getting contributions from a lot of guys ... Hitting's contagious, it really is. It's been good to see that it hasn't been one or two guys. It's been everybody throughout the lineup." — Coach Mike Fox on his team's offensive outburst during the past week.

Notable 

Sutherland went 3-for-4 with two doubles on the day. After 12 games, he leads the Tar Heels with a .895 slugging percentage.

Three numbers that matter

6: With eight strikeouts Friday, Gallen has at least six strikeouts in each of his first four starts. In those four starts, the junior is averaging 10.1 strikeouts per nine innings this season.

1: In the bottom of the seventh, Miller hit a two-run home run over the wall in right field. It was the first career home run for Miller. 

14: The Tar Heels put up 14 runs Friday. It is the fifth time in the past six games that North Carolina has scored at least ten runs. 

What's next? 

The Tar Heels take on the Panthers in Game 2 of the series at 2 p.m. on Saturday.  

@jbo_vernon