UNC baseball uses its 'toy cannon' to blow away Gardner-Webb

Sophomore Logan Warmoth (7), senior Eli Sutherland (3), and junior Tyler Ramirez (14) celebrated after they all completed a run in the game against Gardner-Webb Tuesday.

At first, Eli Sutherland hit a home run.

It was his first as a member of the North Carolina baseball team. It took awhile — seven games into his senior year — but every hitter gets a hold of one every now and then.

Three days later, he hit another. It raised some eyebrows, but Sutherland stands at 5-foot-9, 170 pounds. The wind must have been blowing.

But now, after hitting his third home run of the season in Tuesday's 11-5 win over Gardner-Webb (13-1), the UNC infielder is starting to become a household name in Tar Heel country.

“It’s a good thing," Coach Mike Fox said. "You get good surprises as a coach, and this is a good surprise."

Sutherland has been on a tear in the past six days, amassing three home runs in his previous five games. Yet power surges like these have not always been a common occurrence.

The senior was one of the better hitters on his little league team, but he didn't have that over-the-wall power. Maybe some balls off the fence — but Sutherland was seemingly confined to warning-track power.

Fast forward to junior college at Walters State. The power starts to show during his first year, but it fades away in his second season.

"I’ve never been a huge home run hitter,” he said.

But now, Sutherland is leading No. 10 UNC (10-1) in home runs as the team moves into conference play.

Why this power was hidden in his first year at North Carolina is unknown. Were it not for a nasty injury entering the fall, perhaps it would have.

“Eli came in and had a bad, bad concussion before he got here …” Fox said. “We didn’t think we ever saw the true Eli.”

Sutherland struggled in his rookie campaign with the Tar Heels. Zero home runs and a .208 batting average left him with something to prove.

Maybe the injury, maybe a slump — Eli sought to improve. He spent the offseason tirelessly working, both on the diamond and in the gym. He was determined to rebound from a disappointing season and reshape his offensive identity.

The work has paid off. Sutherland has been a key cog in the UNC offense this year, slugging .889 and chipping in 12 RBIs — one more than his entire 2015 total.

“He’s been a different player for us from the beginning,” Fox said.

His recent success has earned him the nickname “Toy Cannon,” with so much power from such a small stature.

So, Eli, how's the new nickname?

“I guess it works,” Sutherland said, smiling.

@WBOD3