Column: Questions about the summer DTH? I've got answers

Spring semester might be coming to a close, but don’t worry — just around the corner are a thousand things to look forward to this summer in Chapel Hill.

Our baseball and lacrosse teams will be in full swing, the lightning bugs will be out, weather will never be inappropriate for YoPo and the summer DTH will be in print once a week and online all the time.

That’s right — just because spring classes end doesn’t mean our coverage does.

During my time as summer editor of the DTH, I plan to bring you engaging news from the Pit to this country’s capital, local arts stories that reflect the social attitudes of our community, in-depth profiles of current and graduated UNC athletes and much more.

What should I expect from the summer DTH?

We will be filling boxes every Thursday, starting May 12 and ending July 21, with a paper full of relevant, in-depth and exciting news — the same as during the regular school year. Along with our usual news coverage, we will be producing content for new and returning students including the send-home, orientation and welcome back special editions of the DTH.

Will you still be tackling the big issues?

Even with summer fun on our minds, we will not be taking a back seat to the issues that affect UNC students and Triangle community members. We will be continuing coverage on the news that matters, such as possible NCAA sanction decisions, Student Stores’ potential privatization, the presidential and gubernatorial elections and repercussions of House Bill 2.

Do you expect us to trek all the way back to Chapel Hill every week to get our news?

Not at all! We will be running extensive news coverage on our social media accounts all week long. Along with continual breaking news coverage online, you will get to experience new interactive features with our stories, summer-themed blogs and photography galleries.

This sounds like something I want to do!

We would love to have you. The summer DTH is a close-knit group of people who care deeply about reporting on local and national news that affects UNC students and the surrounding community.

If you would like to apply to work as a reporter, photographer, designer, digital team member or copy editor for the Daily Tar Heel this summer, fill out our application at www.dailytarheel.com/page/summer2016-application.

Whatever news is made this summer, you can always find coverage in the summer DTH.