My name is two syllables long. It comes from the Hebrew language meaning “God hears,” and is sometimes such a tongue twister that it’s shortened to “Ish” for the sake of brevity.

Typically, in an encounter with someone new I am asked if I am named after the narrator in “Moby-Dick.”

“Call me Ishmael” is the common response that pours from people’s lips as generously as uncorked wine.

In truth, it was picked from holy scripture by my father, like a citation for guidance.

And this blessing has yet to fail me.

For writers, our names are as important to us as our pen and pad.

It has everything to do with our credibility and reputation.

Our names outrun us to new places and are the first and last line of defense against slander and false allegations.

For a writer to share themselves with an audience larger than their inner voice takes unbelievable courage. It is a testament to their desire to tell the truth.

I would like to think I always put forth the truth in everything that I write. When I spoke out against a student body president campaign in 2014, I was putting forward the truth that campaigns based on identity are irresponsible. When I wrote to black students and community in a series of columns in 2015, I was putting forward the truth that blackness is vast, beautiful and complicated. And I hope that my editorials from this year have put forward the truth that love for university is not beyond reproach.

Regardless if we disagreed on how it came across (column, comment section, editorial, poem), I did what I did to communicate that we are accountable to one another and must always be ethical and compassionate, even when I was not. For some, this won’t come easy, while for others it’s a way of life to treat others who are nothing like us with respect.

I did what I did and was hated for it. Or I did what I did and was praised. But I did what I did not for whatever fame came with it. I did what I did so that I could look myself in the mirror, say my name, both syllables, and not feel ashamed.