Community dances, plays bingo to support survivors

Your grandparents weren’t the ones out on the town for bingo on Monday — but the ones who were might look like your grandparents.

“Not Your Grandma’s Bingo” was held last night at The Station, a Carrboro bar recently opened under new management. All proceeds from the event went to the Orange County Rape Crisis Center.

But to mix things up event organizer and UNC employee Jaclyn Gilstrap invited everyone to dress up as his or her favorite grandparent for the game.

“What I love about bingo is that it is always played in a community,” she said. “I love the idea of people coming together around a common cause. But you know, who plays bingo? These days, I feel like it’s something only my grandparents do.”

That thought inspired Gilstrap’s idea for a costume party. She calls it “Not Your Grandma’s Bingo” because of the bar environment, as well as the prizes awarded. 

The “self-care” prizes range from cookies and candles to sex toys, which the winner can choose based on what he or she feels is self-care for him- or herself. 

Gilstrap is a member of the board of directors for the OCRCC, which is entirely volunteer-based. She said because those who are a part of the organization are unpaid volunteers, it's especially important to have events like bingo in the community to raise funds for the center.

She also said while the center is available for all of Orange County and parts of Durham, many of those who access it are UNC students.

Alyson Culin, interim executive director of the OCRCC, said the organization is thrilled to benefit from this event. 

“This is an event that Jaclyn and The Station are doing, but they’ve decided to make us the beneficiary,” she said. “That’s especially exciting because it’s Sexual Assault Awareness Month. It’s wonderful to live in a community where people support us in all different ways.”

People do support OCRCC in all different ways. Gilstrap said the center regularly holds events like its annual holiday auction and smaller events such as fundraisers at local hair salons and restaurants in Orange County. 

“This event is drawing a younger crowd because it is a more affordable way to come to a Rape Crisis Center event,” she said. “It allows younger folks to support the center financially at a level that they’re more comfortable with.”

The Station's owner, Andrew Moore, said the event brought in about 40 to 45 people, many of whom came dressed up and participated in a “grandma dance-off.” 

Gilstrap planned the event at this time for two reasons. First, she wanted to do something for her 30th birthday quickly approaching that would be fun and benefit a good cause. 

Rather than asking for gifts or money, she set up the event and asked that all proceeds go to the OCRCC. Second, she wanted to be able to do something for the center during April, which is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. 

Culin and Gilstrap said the cause itself is much more important than a large amount of money for the center. 

“In fundraising, people have a tendency to count the dollars and see how much an event brings in,” she said. “Of course, that is important, but what is less quantifiable is the awareness it brings to the community. That is really important.”

@nicola_mcirvine