Letter: ​Carolina Review is insulting to survivors

Mr. Frank Pray,

On your online blog, The Carolina Review, you published a piece on Feb. 21, 2016 titled “The Left is Lying About Sexual Assault” which stated:

“1 in 4 is part of a constellation of statistics derived from feminist scholarship, along with assertions that there are 683,000 rapes a year in the United States , only 2 percent of rape claims are false, and 90 percent of rapes go unreported. These numbers provide the underpinning of the theory of ‘Rape Culture.’” ... “If 1 in 4 were true, you’d expect a mass exodus of American women from coed universities like UNC. Why would any sane parent pay thousands of dollars for their daughters to attend what would amount to a state-subsidized rape camp? But there is no exodus, and female enrollments at American colleges are exploding. At UNC 58 percent of the students are women. Either the 1 in 4 statistic is an extraordinarily well-kept secret (unlikely considering the banners) or it is false. There are no other rational conclusions.”

The claims in this article are both unfounded and horribly disrespectful to survivors of sexual violence both on our campus and beyond. I will be attending the It’s On Us event at the Old Well on Thursday, April 7 from 5-6:30 p.m. as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. I strongly encourage you to attend the event and share your thoughts regarding sexual violence on our campus so that we may all work together to better educate ourselves on the subject.

Samuel Haddad

Sophomore

Nutrition