Letter: ​It is a privilege to call yourself a Tar Heel

If you’ve gone to school at UNC, history-making isn’t a legend — it’s daily life. After all, when your alumni includes the greatest person to basketball — the Jumpman himself — it’s mighty hard not to brag. Our entitlement is as much a result of hard-earned achievement as it is privilege. This year’s basketball season unfolded much like a famed sports film that ended the wrong way. When people ask me what’s it’s like to be a Tar Heel, the best way to describe it is loyalty. To The Carolina Way. To Dean and Roy. To the names hanging in the rafters. To each other.

Chapel Hill is magical because of the people and places that inhabit it, all of which are temporary.

Nothing is the same when you return: A business has closed, a table has been added to a restaurant, an entire class has moved on, yet our spirits linger like a fine fragrance.

You don’t stay in Chapel Hill, but you never leave either.

So I know what’s happening inside those guys as they cope with this loss; know that we are all coping, every day we think about the bell, and well, and those sunny afternoons in Thrill City. Marcus, Brice and Joel: Thank you for showing the world exactly what it means to be a Tar Heel. We were not defeated or heated. It’s just, nothing ends perfectly. Life is not a movie. We were warriors in blue. And we live to tell the tale.

Candace Howze

Class of ’15