Column: The upcoming documentary on Chris Brown's life is incredibly harmful

Sarah Vassello

Arts & culture Sarah Vassello

For my last arts column, I wanted to write something I can stand behind forever.

And I can say, with 100 percent certainty, I will never think of Chris Brown in a positive way.

When I found out two days ago the singer is releasing his documentary “Welcome to My Life,” I thought it was an Onion article.

I thought it was a joke — because it is a joke.

As an editor of arts and entertainment, I am mildly intrigued with the information that can be gleaned from this documentary. I would love to know the names of the producers, directors and artists who worked with someone who’s not only plead guilty to brutally assaulting not one, but multiple women and men.

I would love to know, so I can stop buying and promoting their work. I would love to know how Brown, who has multiple charges of violence, conducts himself in a professional setting — is it anything like how he conducted himself on the set of “Good Morning America,” when he shattered a window in his dressing room?

As a woman who’s been in harmful relationships, I am disgusted that there is a film being released that frames continued acts of violence as something that can and should be overcome. As I am writing this, my hands are shaking because I am so angry the world has chosen to forget Brown’s crimes just because he’s talented.

Former Journey drummer Deen Castronovo is talented, too — but he was fired when he was arrested for charges including rape, sexual abuse and unlawful use of a weapon.

Shoutout to Andrew Sandler, the director. Seeing Brown’s face is a reminder that I don’t want to associate with songs I enjoy, like Nicki Minaj’s “Only,” because I don’t want to contribute to his success in any way.

This is not to say that people can’t change. People should always be evolving. However, Brown has shown he’s not interested in positive change, as proven by multiple arrests for the same charges.

As I was writing, my assistant editor, Ryan Schocket, asked if anyone would get mad at me for this column.

“Just the men’s rights activists,” I told him. “So, not people.”

He rolled his eyes.

“They are such a waste.”

That’s what Chris Brown is — waste, garbage, trash.

And I like to see trash the way it should be —in a f*cking garbage can.