Class of 2016 turns their tassels

Chancellor Folt opened the ceremony after the graduates, faculty and other guests had proceeded onto the field.

“We’re lucky to have a piece of blue heaven with us this morning — the perfect counterpart to the sea of Carolina blue I see on the field,” Folt said.

The Class of 1966 also attended the ceremony, celebrating their 50th anniversary of graduating from the University.

“They wore miniskirts and bellbottoms,” Folt said. “Percy Sledge’s “When a Man Loves a Woman” was No. 1 on their graduation day.”

Folt said the Class of 2016 was special to her because she had spent more time with this class than any other.

“But I truly feel this year was your greatest. Maybe, among the many great years in our University’s long history,” Folt said.

Anne-Marie Slaughter, popular author and president and CEO of New America, was the commencement speaker. Using stories about her family, Slaughter spoke about the importance of care and career for both men and women.

“It is time for men in this generation, alongside women as equals, to be bold and to break the mold of traditional expectations for how men should lead their lives, just as we have broken those expectations for how women should lead their lives,” Slaughter said.

Slaughter said in her speech people need to care for caregivers and work for equality of all people.

“So some things will always be the same. The sky will always be Carolina blue.”

Honorary degrees were given to Sandra Cisneros, Paul Fulton, Nell Irvin Painter and Sister Helen Prejean — along with Slaughter.

Speakers at the ceremony also included Board of Governors member Ann Maxwell, Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees Haywood Cochrane, Chair of the Board of Directors of the General Alumni Association Dan Myers and President of the Senior Class Ying Lin.

“Although monumental moments are a way to differentiate our years at Carolina, I realized the biggest celebrations were the day-to-day moments spent with our favorite people,” Lin said. “It was enjoying a cherry coke at Suttons with best friends. It was catching up with people in the pit who we haven’t seen since freshmen year.”

A cappella groups UNC Clef Hangers and UNC Harmonyx closed the ceremony with “Carolina in My Mind” and the alma mater “Hark the Sound.”

Along with spring commencement, the University held other events to honor graduates.

The Red, White and Carolina Blue Graduation distributed red, white and blue cords to military-affiliated graduates.

Carolina Firsts celebrated five first generation graduates with a special diploma signing ceremony with Chancellor Folt.

Folt said many administration members were also first generation college students, such as Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp and Provost James Dean.

“We share a lot and in many ways, we’re just so proud to see all that you’ve accomplished,” Folt said.

Cyndel Brunell, Heather Fairchild, Mina Fouad, Olivia Erin Horton and Candace Jones were recognized at the Carolina Firsts ceremony for excelling during their time at the University, earning them the William C. Friday Award.

“To me personally, it’s just this has been one of my biggest goals, as long as I can remember, is graduating college and this is kind of surreal,” Brunell said.