UNC baseball fails to string hits together in 3-1 loss to Notre Dame

Craige Parking Deck may be receiving a "green" make-over, with plans to build an environmentally-friendly plant structure on it to spruce up its appearance and help clean the air. The plan is in the works and still requires BOG approval.

Unable to compile a cohesive offensive effort, No. 20 North Carolina fell to Notre Dame, 3-1, on Saturday night. With UNC’s loss, Notre Dame tied the series at one game apiece.

With the Tar Heels failing to tally a hit in the first five innings, it became clear that North Carolina (32-18, 11-14 ACC) would have to rely on their defense to defeat the Fighting Irish (26-23, 10-13 ACC).

At first, it worked, as North Carolina’s defense held Notre Dame scoreless for five innings behind J.B. Bukauskas.

But the defensive stronghold cracked in the sixth inning, when Notre Dame’s Matt Vierling whacked a two-run home run over the left-field wall. On the next at bat, UNC committed an error, allowing a Fighting Irish runner to reach third base. That batter went on to score on an RBI single. By the end of the inning, Notre Dame led 3-0.

Six innings deep, Cody Roberts broke the no-hit spell in dramatic fashion, knocking a solo home run to left field to cut Notre Dame’s lead to 3-1. North Carolina had a chance to tie the game in the seventh inning after a pair of infield singles by Tyler Ramirez and Logan Warmoth, The two were left stranded on base, since no other Tar Heel could connect with the bat to bring them home.

North Carolina did not find another good scoring chance the rest of the night.

Amidst the offensive struggles, J.B. Bukauskas kept UNC competitive with his pitching, holding the Fighting Irish to two hits and no runs in the first five innings. Bukauskas finished off the night with eight strikeouts.

Cody Roberts turned the tide for the North Carolina offense with his solo home run in the sixth inning. The home run was Roberts’ first of his career and came at a critical time for UNC. The effort was not enough for North Carolina but provided fans with something to celebrate.

The three-run sixth inning sealed UNC’s fate, but what determined the outcome of the game was North Carolina’s inability to tally hits.

Ramirez and Warmoth singled in the seventh inning and reached third and second on a sacrifice bunt by Brandon Riley. With the tying run on base, the Tar Heels couldn’t get another hit to finish the job. Zack Gahagan struck out on the next at-bat, and Eli Sutherland flied out to end the seventh inning and UNC’s scoring chance.

The Tar Heels need to win this series to have a shot at getting a bid for both the ACC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament. Now, a series win is significantly harder for UNC to obtain.

The game followed North Carolina’s trend of struggling to string together hits, especially in conference play. If this problem doesn’t keep UNC from reaching the ACC and NCAA Tournament, it will certainly prove to be fatal in tournament play.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels will face Notre Dame in a rubber match on Monday at 7 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium.

@BlakeR_95