Column: Giving what I was given

Imagine: it’s May 2014 and I am a high school junior who is wide-eyed, bushy-tailed and eagerly anticipating the college admissions process.

My mother drops me off in Chapel Hill for some two-day program that my counselor signed me up for. I didn’t know what to expect at the time but this program, Project Uplift, would be formative during my college selection process and it continues to impact my experience as a college student.

Project Uplift, hosted by UNC Admissions and Diversity and Multicultural Affairs, is a program that aims to increase college readiness and awareness for rising high school seniors from underrepresented backgrounds.

As a first generation student from a rural high school, I had very little to no college preparation or concrete opportunities to learn about college. I had never been on a college campus and only knew surface-level stereotypes and myths about the application process.

Through academic sessions and financial aid sessions, I began to understand the steps I would have to take to be admitted to a school like UNC. However, I learned just as much from the PU counselors.

Meeting and interacting with so many high-achieving minority students was refreshing because I was concerned about attending a predominately white institution. At that point in my high school career, I had mainly done research on Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

Attending PU allowed me to not only learn about what it takes to be admitted to and succeed at a top college like UNC, but I also learned what I really wanted from my college experience.

Experiencing the warm, welcoming atmosphere at PU, I realized that I needed that kind of environment in college.

This summer I have had the opportunity to serve as a counselor for Project Uplift, and I get to answer the very questions I asked two years ago. Being able to give back through PU has been a major highlight of my Carolina experience so far. It is both interesting and powerful to understand programs like Project Uplift from two different viewpoints.

Now, I completely understand why programs dedicated to preparing underrepresented students for college are so important. It means a lot to know that I might be the reason a student becomes interested in UNC.

So thank you to every one of my PU counselors (#PUNeverStops), and to every PU counselor past, present and future, for committing to making an indelible impact on the next generations of Tar Heels.

Pay attention to the seeds you plant during Project Uplift; they might just grow up to sow seeds of their own one day (i.e. me).