The Daily Grind Espresso Cafe will close June 10

Stephanie Kim, a sophomore student, buys coffee from barista Mariko Davison at the Daily Grind located in the student store.

The Daily Grind Espresso Café will close June 10 after more than 20 years of business on campus. The café was previously set to close on June 24. 

Owner of the Daily Grind, Jane Brown, said she had to move the closing date up by two weeks after Barnes and Noble College decided to come in earlier. 

"Originally they were coming July 1 so our closing date was later but they moved it up a week to June 24," Brown said. 

"So I have all the equipment at the Daily Grind plus I have supplies and equipment in the stock room. Just to keep it from being extremely stressful, I have two weeks, I have to get everything out and clean by (June) 24."

Simon McGorman, general manager of The Daily Grind, said he can’t say how the Barnes and Noble coffee shop will compare to the Daily Grind.

“I guess I can’t really know what they will or won’t be able to do. Especially because as far as we know, it’s still not clear what they’re actually going to be doing for coffee,” he said. “Like if they’re going to be running it themselves or if they’ll get somebody else to run it.”

Rising sophomore Emily Lowery, who picked up her application for the Daily Grind on move-in day her first year, said she most likely will not apply to work for the Barnes and Noble owned coffee shop that will replace the Daily Grind.

“I honestly have no clue where I’ll go on campus. Jane, the owner, is the sweetest person I’ve ever known,” Lowery said. “It’s just not going to get as good as it was.”

Editors note: If you or someone you know has worked at the Daily Grind Espresso Cafe since its opening, please contact Summer Editor Sofia Edelman.