FBI says no charges for Clinton, isn't mentioned at rally

On Tuesday, James Comey, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, recommended no criminal charges be brought against Clinton with respect to her alleged mishandling of this sensitive information. Just hours later, Clinton shared a stage in Charlotte with President Barack Obama and made no mention of this decision by the FBI’s top official.

Instead, she and her campaign surrogates, including Obama, Deborah Ross, current N.C. candidate for U.S. Senate and N.C. Attorney General and current gubernatorial candidate Roy Cooper, focused on laying out the framework of a platform that they were confident would build on the successes of the Obama administration and would help build coalitions.

“We need a different kind of politics, and I don’t mean the kind that tears people down and insults everyone. I mean the kind that is honest and put people first. The kind that says we are stronger together,” said Ross. “Right now people in North Carolina are struggling. Their dollar isn’t going as far. They’re worried that their Social Security is going to be cut while millionaires continue to get tax cuts.”

During her brief speech, Clinton outlined her five point economic plan: to make the largest investment in well-paying jobs since WWII, to make college debt-free to all, to create new regulations to punish businesses who move jobs overseas, to rewrite the tax code so that large financial institutions and super-wealthy individuals pay their ‘fair share’ of taxes and to modernize workplace policy such as paid family leave.

“President Obama has pulled our nation from the brink of another Great Depression during his time in office. And I intend to build on the work that he has done. We will continue to invest in the working class, we will put an end to policies that benefit Wall Street at the expense of Main Street and we will create an economy that works for everyone,” said Clinton.

President Obama praised Clinton as a person and leader, citing her decades of experience in both the Senate and White House, where Obama said she was an exemplary First Lady and later Secretary of State. “I have seen her toughness and her judgement up close. She may be the most qualified person to ever run for this office,” Obama said.