Raleigh high school student's Mars rover landing site proposal chosen as semifinalist

Alex-Longo

Alex Longo, a junior at Cardinal Gibbons High School in Raleigh stands next to a 3-D printer making a model of New Horizons.

NASA has narrowed down the potential landing sites for the 2020 Mars rover to eight locations — including one proposed by Raleigh high school student Alex Longo.

Longo, now a junior at Cardinal Gibbons High School, proposed in 2013 the Mars rover land on the Gusev Crater. He believes evidence obtained from the crater could reveal signs of life after viewing information received from the Spirit Rover in 2004.

Longo said when he submitted the proposal he didn't expect NASA to respond.

“You’re writing to a government agency with literally thousands of employees,” Longo said. “To expect them to personally respond to a 13-year-old, that would be surprising.”

But NASA did respond and invited Longo to attend the first Mars rover landing site workshop in 2014. Longo gave a presentation on why he thought the next rover should explore the crater.

John Grant, co-chair of the Mars 2020 Landing Site Steering Committee, said Longo quickly demonstrated he was someone to be taken seriously. 

“He really impressed the workshop participants with his passion and also his knowledge of the site,” Grant said. “He clearly spent a lot of time researching it and understood a lot of attributes of the site relative to the goals of the mission.”

Since that first workshop, two other scientists who suggested returning to the Gusev Crater have mentored Longo, and he was invited back to the second workshop in 2015. At that workshop, approximately 30 sites were narrowed down to eight, with Gusev Crater making the cut.

Longo first became fascinated with space in 2005, when his parents had him watch a video of a shuttle launch. Since then, his passion for space has grown, and he hopes to pursue a career in space exploration. 

Chris Brown, director of the North Carolina Space Grant, said stereotypes often hold young people back from pursuing a career in science.

“When they think of a scientist, they think of a man – usually a white man – in a lab coat with wild hair, and they don’t see themselves that way,” Brown said.

Longo said he was surprised when his mentors did not fit this mold.

“Usually they’re in polo shirts and jeans, and they’re just an incredibly diverse and funny cast of people," he said.

Longo said he has put some thought into where he wants to go to college, but doesn't want to make a decision yet.

“I’m only going to be in high school for two more years, and that part of my life isn’t going to repeat itself," Longo said. "Every phase of life is unique, and I think I should just enjoy it.”

@BollingerLuke